Forum Discussion

jsbatch
New Contributor
9 years ago

What Optical Network Terminal (ONT) used for Cox Gigablast Internet?

Trying to prepare for Cox Gigablast Internet installation set for early next week and need to learn what Optical Network Terminal (ONT) Cox installs for the Gigablast Internet service?

Need to know the form factor of the ONT enclosure (specifically cable inlet/outlet configurations) so as to configure the existing CATV / DBS / Ethernet weatherproof enclosure on the exterior of the structure to prepare for the addition of the ONT and the cabling. The ONT brand / model / specs (and perhaps a digital picture or URL to specs?) would be very helpful to me at this stage of preparation.

Also, the cable run from the ONT installed on the exterior of the structure to the ACXXXX router inside the structure - is that cable fiber or ethernet?

Many thanks for the help!

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @jsbatch

The ONT actually installs inside of the home.  It's small enough to fit in your pocket and is bracketed in place to minimize the chance of damage to the fiber optic line.  From there it will connect Ethernet to the router.

jsbatch
    New Contributor

Many thanks for the replies! The information is very helpful!

jsbatch
    New Contributor

Another clarification would be helpful...

Background...

The distance from the current location where the rigid fiber cable coming from the neighborhood POS terminates at the exterior of the home to the desired location on the exterior of the home where the fiber cable will enter the home to connect to the ONT is ~50 feet. It is my plan for that cable connecting the ONT to run through 0.75" flexible conduit buried alongside the home foundation and enter the home through a weatherproof enclosure attached to the exterior of the home.

Remaining question for clarification...

The fiber cable run from the current rigid fiber termination location to the entry point of the home (~50 ft) - is that cable rigid fiber (as coming from the POS) or is it (or can it be?) flexible fiber cable to allow for easier cable pull through the flexible conduit?

Thanks in advance for the help!

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @jsbatch

What actually plugs into the ONT is flexible for practical reasons.  At what point that changes I'm not familiar.  The installer will survey your home and meet with you to discuss all factors involved and determine the best agreed upon location with you.  I believe conduit is involved however your installer will be able to better answer that question.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

jsbatch said:
    is that cable rigid fiber (as coming from the POS) or is it (or can it be?) flexible fiber cable

What state do you live in? I might be able to find a blog for someone in your area.

Also, before the install a contract group will sometimes show up to do some of the heavy lifting when it comes to digging and prepping. They would be the best ones to ask, and if changes need to be made, you can always reschedule the install a few days out. 

jsbatch
    New Contributor

I am located in Arizona - north Phoenix/Cave Creek area.

The flat black 'rigid' optical cable is already pulled to the house from the neighborhood POS. About 10ft of the black 'rigid' cable is looped and tied along side the house awaiting splicing/termination.  

I read the blog linked above by Tecknowhelp specifically documenting a Gigablast install in PHX. That blog depicts the flat black 'rigid' optical cable spliced to a round beige 'flexible', [Type OFNR] cable that looks like Ethernet cable. As depicted in the blog, that rigid-to-flexible cable splice is enclosed in an exterior weather proof enclosure mounted to the interior garage wall of the subject structure. The blog indicates that the beige 'flexible' optical cable is then run from the weatherproof enclosure to the ONT. 

Is this a 'typical' installation scenario - i.e. black 'rigid' optical cable (from POS) spliced to white 'flexible' cable that runs to the ONT location? 

I ask because, in advance of the install I am laying and connecting the exterior conduit from the location on the exterior of the house where the black 'rigid' optical cable is now looped ~50ft to the location on the exterior of the house where the optical cable will need to enter the house to connect to the ONT. 

I really need to know in advance what type of cable the conduit needs to accommodate. That information will help me determine the proper conduit connections, bends, junction boxes, etc. Multiple attempts to get answers to these questions from Cox Communications have been fruitless. Consequently, I have been forced to reschedule the installation appointment several times in the effort to allow time to finish the conduit installation.

Appreciate the help!

• Hi Jsbatch,

I'm not sure that our team is able to answer your question with any degree of surety. We believe the flexible fiber cable (beige) is slightly smaller in diameter than the rigid fiber cable. No one on our team has been on a Gigablast install. We have high level network diagrams for Gigablast installs, but have not seen the actual equipment. Any exterior cables installed by Cox will be weatherproof, so I wouldn't worry about having the exterior conduit in place prior to your Gigablast installation. Cox will provide all of the equipment necessary during your installation.