Forum Discussion

Warren
New Contributor
12 years ago

Firmware Updates for Netgear CG3000D

I just received the Netgear CG3000D modem/router from Cox.  Although I like the unit, I am not getting anywhere near the upload speeds I should be receiving as a subscriber to the premier package.  Are firmware updates pushed to these units on a regular basis?  I do not know if my unit has the latest firmware so I have copied its specs below.  Thanks to anyone who can explain how updates to these units work and whether mine is current.  If it is not current, what do I need to do?

Information
Standard Specification Compliant DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version 1.04A
Software Version V5.5.4.mp2_CPR14c

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    wees41
    Contributor II

Cox handles  firmware  if it was recently installed might take a day or two for the current firmware in your area to get pushed to it , or you might already have the latest firmware that Cox is using in your market..

KipK
    Valued Contributor II

That already is the latest firmware for that modem. As far as I know, there's not any variation in versions across markets for that model.

However, the package speeds do differ across markets. In Roanoke, for example, Premier is still 15mbps down and 1.5mbps up.

Urlaz
    New Contributor

I have been having problems with my cg3000d-rg router. I would recommend taking yours back and getting a stand alone modem and a wireless router, two stand alone devices.

I feel cheated as I investigate my problem further. I would have never bought the cg3000d-rg if I knew that cox produced the firmware pushes themselves. It is not what it was promised and it has not delivered on what was promised. I am psyching myself up to call cox again to try and get some retroactive credit on mine for a simple modem. I think I'm sol though.

I get regular wireless hiccups, slow wireless speeds, and an abysmally small/weak wireless field. The term given to this gateway when I bought it was reliable, and it has been anything but. I wish I had come to these conclusions sooner, I fear netgear is going to point at cox and cox will point at netgear and I'm going to just be sitting here waiting for google fiber.

Warren
    New Contributor

Thanks to everyone for posting.  It seems I already have the latest firmware.  Personally, I am thusfar pleased with this purchase.  Previously, I had a Cisco modem and Apple Extreme router.  My blu ray player seldom rated the signal strength above 80% using that combination.  Using the Netgear gateway, it consistently rates my signal at or near 100%.  Further, my Roku rated the signal strength previously at Good.  It is now rated as Excellent.  Thus, I cannot help but conclude this has been a good purchase for me.  As an aside, the first Apple Extreme router I had died just short of one year.  It was replaced since it was still under warranty but that made me a litle less trustworthy of that model.  If one reads router/modem reviews long enough, it seems there are not really any models that have a proven track record.  For now, I will hope the Netgear will continue to work as advertised.  Thanks again to everyone for replying to my original post.

designla
    New Contributor

I feel the same way. The wired connection works fine, but the wireless is horrible and I live in a TINY house. The Powerline Ethernet keeps cutting out as cox drops the signal constantly and I have to restart the router 4-= x a day or more. The tech on the phone said to hardwire all connections. Then why do I have a wireless modem??? Netgear said update firmware, then I find out this model is a Cox " special.:" Thanks Cox.. Now I have to have a service call , which I will probably get charged for , like the last one that I had to fight with them over. Great speed  when I have a connection , insane dropping issues... I saw online in the forums over 250 posts about this same dropping problem. COX FIX IT .  We pay you every month ..

wees41
    Contributor II

Cox does not produce the firmware they only test and push it to the correct hardware.

ScousePete
    New Contributor

OMG I am so frustrated with this modem. All I want to do is switch off the wireless as it is really poor. But this seems to be virtually impossible. Cox's own instructions do not turn it off, only hide the SSID which is not the same thing!

LET ME TURN OFF THE WIRELESS!

• Nothing but trouble with this NGear CG3000D router/modem unit since I got it. Drops the signal multiple times a day. And now I find out that it does not appear to have a guest access option, which the cable guy assured me it would have. Too late to return it now and I have no time to sit home waiting for a cable guy to keep coming out. I'm screwed.