This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Router losing connection to Cable Modem

I had a problem which started a few months ago. For no reason at random times my Router (Apple Time Capsule 3TB) keeps dropping my cable modem connection for internet. I replaced the cable modem with 2 different models - same issue. I replace the time capsule with a brand new unit - same problem. It happens after various amounts of time. Often when I am not even at home. I reboot the router and all is fine again for a day or 2.... I cannot figure out why this is happening. I checked the logs for the cable modem and there is little or nothing indicating any problem. So I don't think the modem or cable connection is to blame. I don't understand what could have started causing this. But it's certainly frustrating. Any ideas on what I can check within my Time Capsule logs or settings to isolate this? Thanks in advance! Martin
  • What model modem do you have?

Also, when the problem happens, do you lose any lights on the front?

Can you post the modem logs from around the time of one of the events? Please admit any "CM Address" or MAC address for privacy reasons.

As for the Time Capsule logs, Apple no longer supports them on Airport Utility 5.6 and later. So to see them you actually have to downgrade the software. See here for more info.

• Currently using a Motorola SB6121. Tried a newer SB6141 and a Zoom AC500... All got disconnected from the Time Capsule. No lights changing.. Modem keeps happily plugging away. time capsule remains green, until you look in utility and then it's orange on the internet connection leg. Simple reboot of Time capsule and all is fine again for a while. I've checked the modem logs and nothing there of interest at all. Would be glad to post them tonight when I get home. As far as the modem is concerned nothing happens. It's on the router side - Don't know why all of a sudden this started. I had my previous time capsule for 2 years and rarely ever touched it. Now 2 different ones behave the same way - so something else in my network is triggering this. But not sure what - when I'm not at home, and all devices are probably in sleep modem (laptops, desktops, etc...) Yes its a shame Apple messes with log capabilities because this could have helped troubleshooting a lot!! Martin
    Tecknowhelp said:

What model modem do you have?

Also, when the problem happens, do you lose any lights on the front?

Can you post the modem logs from around the time of one of the events? Please admit any "CM Address" or MAC address for privacy reasons.

As for the Time Capsule logs, Apple no longer supports them on Airport Utility 5.6 and later. So to see them you actually have to downgrade the software. See here for more info.

• Martin B said:
    until you look in utility and then it's orange on the internet connection leg

What does this mean? Is there anyway of finding out what that technically signifies? IE failing a DHCP renew, losing gateway IP, DNS fail, etc. 

Martin B said:
    I had my previous time capsule for 2 years and rarely ever touched it. Now 2 different ones behave the same way

My guess is something with DHCP aggression and how fast it responds to IP lease renewal. In the past it may not have been as much a issue as more IPs were available, the rotation period may have been longer.

Also, you may want to check IPv6 on the Airport. If Cox is doing something new there maybe the router is trying, but failing, to acquire a IPv6 address. If possible, disable it.  

Martin B said:
    It's on the router side -

If so, you may be helped better at the Apple forum.  No harm in 2 threads. Geeked

• Orange means no internet connection - that's all Apple tells you. It doesn't state if DHCP, gateway, or DNS is failed. Got home checked log on modem - not a single entry for 3 days. Modem was up and running. Rebooted apple time capsule and restored service. Did nothing else.

DHCP was set to 1 day - it lasted 3 since last failure. I changed it to 7. IPV6 is set to Automatic. Not sure what to change there.....

For a month I haven't been able to solve this at all. 

Gonna put my old Wireless-N router back online and see what happens. I really like and need my Time Capsule - but not if it doesn't work! Will just sell it and get a newer router and an external NAS to handle the time machine backups if it proves out..

I've tried everything else! Unless someone has new ideas. It's not the devices themselves - as they have all changed (Both routers and modems). Something else in the environment. And I haven't changed any computers or devices either. Not sure if Cox changed anything or not - but would expect others and not just me to be complaining.

Frustrating. This started last month and I thought it was related to Cox blocking my uploads to Amazon - that wasn't the case at all.

Martin

• Martin B said:
    Unless someone has new ideas.

Need more data from the time capsule. Maybe try to find some way to access it via terminal? The Apple hardware makes it hard to get any info they don't consider important. ]

Martin B said:
    . And I haven't changed any computers

Is it possible to connect a computer to the modem for a day? See what happens to the IP on the PC when the connection drops. Would give us a clue of whats going on.