Need firmware update for SBG6580 modem - current firmware kills VOIP

Need firmware update for SBG6580 modem - current firmware kills VOIP

Internet Forum

Activity: 30 Replies | 8 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

Took the plunge and ordered Cox at home. Bought Motorola SBG6580 on Amazon because it has built in WiFi. Modem shipped with V. 3.3.x of firmware. Set up VOIP and everything works great.

Then after a billing snafu and reprovisioning, Cox rolls me back to 3.2.1 breaking my VOIP because 3.2.x has no means of disabling SIP ALG (called SIP Pass Through on the Moto). Now my VOIP is broken. http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

Level 1 and 2 support says no update yet. Love the router, just don't want to have to return it and run so many devices on my little desk to have cable modem + WiFi...

Come on COX, let's get a firmware update! Comcast is on 3.5.x and Charter is on 3.5.x also...

All Replies
  • Posted by mitya001
    24 Sep 2012 4:29 AM

I have a same issue. Got SBG6580 with 3.2.1 firmware where as Charter and Comcast already upgraded their customers with SBG6580-3.5.8.1-GA-01-477-NOSH. That is the latest firmware that has many new features and bug fixes. Cox MUST upgrade us too!

• Posted by ChrisL
    25 Sep 2012 6:51 AM

Currently 3.2.1.0 is the latest approved firmware version for that modem for use with our network.  I'm not sure where we are with evaluating new versions at this time.  For that reason a separate modem/router solution may be your best alternative.

-Chris

Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by jludz
    27 Sep 2012 10:44 PM

Well, until Cox gets an update out to us, I have placed the SBG6580 into bridge mode, and I'm using a WiFi router behind that for now. It's crowding my desk, but VOIP is operable, and I didn't have to buy additional hardware (I already had the WiFi router).

For instructions see: http://fascinated.fm/post/2379188731/getting-a-motorola-sbg6580-into-bridge-mode-on

Hope this helps!

• Posted by Inzax
    22 Dec 2012 6:38 PM

Currently I am running SBG6580, Firmware 3.5.8.4-GA-00-505-NOSH.  I noticed that with the firewall set to Medium or High port forwarding or triggering does not work.  I contacted Motorola.  They advised they release these modems with a basic firmware version.  Cox updates that firmware.  It appears when this is done, it "breaks" the port forwarding or triggering features of this modem.  DMZ does appear to work. 

I contacted Cox.  After getting the run around and disconnected I got a hold of somebody who "talked" to a tier Two tech on my behalf.  They advised they have no information on the issue and port triggering/forwarding should work.  Sigh.... It clearly does not.  Google returns a flood of people with the same issue. 

Setting the firewall to "low" works, since in that mode, no ports are blocked.  In reality no port forwarding or triggering is taking place due to the firewall being set to "low." 

Wondering what else does not work? 

• Posted by Inzax
    23 Dec 2012 1:22 PM

Update:  I talked to Tier 2 Tech today.  He promised to send the issue up.  I explained the modem in its factory reset condition works as intended.  When hooked up to the cox network it updates to the approved firmware and "breaks" port forwarding and triggering. 

Cox does not support this feature in the modem.  However, I explained and the tech seemed to agree that if a firmware update to the modem breaks some features there is a degree of responsibility to look at the issue.

He advised the issue would be passed up.  We shall see.

• Posted by ChrisL
    26 Dec 2012 7:40 AM

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying when you say the modem updates to approved firmware when connected to Cox.  It seems we haven't touched the firmware on yours.  It's actually running a newer version that what's approved for our network.  If turning the firewall setting down corrects the issue it sounds more like there's a problem with the firewall feature.

-Chris

• Posted by Inzax
    26 Dec 2012 4:28 PM

Thanks for Responding ChrisL.

All I can tell you is what Motorola says.  They advised Cox updates the basic firmware since they CANT legally.  If I set it back to factory before hooking it up to the Cox network it has a different firmware.  The second I hook it up, It updates.  Cox does not handle the firewall and router feature of this modem.  I theorize that the firmware cox puts on the modem to make it work on their network "breaks" the features of this modem that fall outside the traditional cable modem.  (ie port forwarding.)

I guess I will wait and see what comes out of my "bug report."

Thanks again.

• Posted by ChrisL
    27 Dec 2012 6:58 AM

We haven't touched the firmware on the modem and I don't see how connecting it to the Cox network would update it.  We have the ability to send updated firmware to the device however we haven't done so in your case since the device appears to have a newer version than we have available.

-Chris

• Posted by Inzax
    27 Dec 2012 7:32 AM

I am in Omaha, Ne. if that changes anything. 

The Cox Tier Two Tech acknowledges they push the firmware to the modem side of this all in one router.  This is done to ensure the modem works on the Cox Network.  These modems are sent to best buy with a basic firmware package.  Since there are a variety of different ISP's, the modems receive a small firmware upgrade when they are first provisioned on the network.  This ensures they work with their particular ISP.

I am going to wait and see what comes out of the "bug report."

I will update if I hear anything.

Thanks.

• Posted by ChrisL
    27 Dec 2012 9:39 AM

Yes it's correct that the firmware on the all in one gateway devices has to be sent from the ISP side however your device shipped with 3.5.8.4 which has not been changed by us.  There is no such thing as a basic firmware package.  All firmwares must be fully functional otherwise the device will not operate.

-Chris

• Posted by Inzax
    27 Dec 2012 10:16 AM

Not trying to argue with you. I do appreciate you responding.  It is very frustrating when I am getting one piece of information from Motorola and another from Cox.  I think what I am seeing is part of a bigger issue.  Motorola says one thing.  Cox says another.  In the end, I get bounced around between the two. 

Motorola claims the modem was NOT shipped with the latest firmware.  I could reset it and see what version it is but I don't want to do that since the modem is at least holding an internet connection now.  Either way I do know the modem was not working for port forwarding and triggering a problem Motorola says is caused by Cox.  Cox says it's Motorola's problem.  I sit in the middle.

Tier 2 advises there is a new firmware in the works.  They can't push it to me because the network will reset the modem to only the approved firmware for the cox network.  I am hopeful the new firmware will address the problem.

Take care.  Thanks again for your efforts.

• Posted by ChrisL
    27 Dec 2012 11:26 AM

Pehaps there's a little confusion as to just what is going on.  The firmware can't be changed by resetting the device.  It's permanently loaded into the flash until it is changed either at the factory by Motorola or updates by the provider.  What Motorola said about the device not shipping with the latest firmware may be true however the version that was in your modem out of the box is still more recent than what we offer.

As for being the man in the middle that is one of the unfortunate issues that arises with retail purchased all in one gateway devices.  It sounds like based on your situation you would benefit by having the modem and router separate.

-Chris

• Posted by Inzax
    27 Dec 2012 11:51 AM

Agreed.  Two separate devices seems to be the answer.  I see what you are saying about the firmware.  I assumed since the router worked as intended when factory reset then would stop shortly after being hooked up to the network it was being "updated."

Thanks. 

• Posted by ChrisL
    27 Dec 2012 12:11 PM

The device downloads from us a configuration profile for the DOCSIS side of the device which sets parameters used by the modem.  Being a retail device our network won't see the router functionality it has.  The boundary gets a little blurry however when it comes to firmware updates as how a single firmware is utilized by both the modem and router function and in those situations the firmware is delivered via the ISP which is why Motorola sent you our way.

-Chris

• Posted by wees41
    27 Dec 2012 3:32 PM

Standard Specification Compliant    DOCSIS 3.0
    Hardware Version    1
    Software Version    SBG6580-3.5.8.4-GA-00-505-NOS

This is what my SB6580 is running in Omaha.