Introducing Cox Gigablast

Introducing Cox Gigablast

Internet Forum

Activity: 427 Replies | 52 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

Welcome to the Gigablast Internet thread where we invite you to discuss all things GIG Life related! 

Gigablast  is Cox’s fastest Internet ever – up to 100x faster than average broadband! Gigablast delivers speed to power all your devices at the same time and offers the fastest in-home WiFi available, lag free streaming, and downloads in the blink of any eye! 

Ready to get Gigablast? Visit cox.com/GIGLife to see if its available at your home. Already have Gigablast? Feel free to share your experiences or let us know how we can help keep you moving at the speed of life!

Cox Support Forums Moderator

All Replies
  • Posted by MichaelJ
    24 Jan 2015 4:09 PM
    Hi Augie, if you are experiencing slow internet speeds, please provide specific details so we, or other forums users can assist you. If the issue is with Web Mail only, we are aware of the issues with Web Mail and are working to resolve them.

Mike J.

• Posted by kas007
    4 Feb 2015 3:01 PM

Hi there. 

I am confused reading all the post. Can you clarify few things for me. 

I just ordered Gigablast from Cox which is available in my area. Now in different ads I see different wordings. Some say Gigablast modem rental included whereas others say Gigablast wifi router included. In the posts here I read that cable modem is not required but a gateway is used. What device is actually used in the end? 

In particular right now I have "ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router and Motorola/Arris SB6141 DOCSIS3.0 Modem that I currently use for my preferred Internet service. Going forward when the giogabit service is installed will both of my devices be removed and replaced with a gateway device or will I be able to use either of the modem or the router for the service? If a new gateway would be installed then can you provide the name of the device? 

• Posted by ChrisL
    5 Feb 2015 5:41 AM
    @kas007

Gigablast is a fiber optic service therefore not compatible with cable modems.  Service is delivered via a optical network terminator and a Netgear wireless-AC router is included.  I believe you can use your own router if you prefer, note that currently there aren't any consumer grade routers yet that I'm aware of that can actually achieve a full gigabit of throughput.  The information was able to find on your router suggests that you could achieve up to about 800Mbps.

-Chris

• Posted by ranquet91
    6 Feb 2015 4:30 PM

I am interested in upgrading as soon as you upgrade service in Las Vegas, but my big question are you removing the data caps?

I stream A LOT and wind up getting "nastygrams" about data usage each month, I tried out Contour to try and reduce my data usage but the service barely works and is a huge pain so I wound up cancelling after a year.

• Posted by ChrisL
    7 Feb 2015 5:54 AM
    @ranquet91

The last information I saw put the monthly data allowance somewhere around 1TB for the Gigablast service.

-Chris

• Posted by chris_c21
    8 Feb 2015 5:48 PM

ChrisL
    @ranquet91

The last information I saw put the monthly data allowance somewhere around 1TB for the Gigablast service.

And $99.99 is the regular rate without any discounts or bundled services, last I read. Also requires a $300 Install charge; waived if you opt for a 2-year (possibly 3-year) agreement. Includes a Netgear R6300 AC Router, but I imagine my current Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC router would actually perform better.

Cox Ultimate HSI, Arris SB6190, Netgear R7000 AC router.

• Posted by USMC401
    15 Feb 2015 5:49 PM

I got a Ubee modem/router from Cox.

It's docsis 3.0

Check with them if you're running a 2.0 modem and they may give you one... but you'll have to check. 

• Posted by Samibrahim1
    17 Feb 2015 12:43 AM

Ok guys Cox just approved the Netgear C6300 tomorrow I amhoing to buy it it will be my tenth one that did not work good but now it should since they support it .my first box was the fastest I ever had and now I am using a Motorola Arris surfboard for $229.99 but the Wi-Fi really ** so the seller from Amazon is taking it back I bought it on Jan the 14th and tell you what this guy is from Rono Sierra Consinment one of the most recommended and lowest prices in AMAZON fast shipping a real very honest person to deal with. he doesn't carry Netgear but Motorola and other items. 

But glad to buy this Netgear C6300 best Wi-Fi you will experience and fast like lightening . So I highly recommend this box stay away of the Motorola Surfboard as there customer service is rude very unhelpful .

• Posted by david092431
    17 Feb 2015 8:44 AM
    When is this coming to Las Vegas? Secondly, I pay almost 70$ a month for 100mbps internet already. According to this article, http://www.cnet.com/news/cox-to-join-gigabit-broadband-party Google and At&t charge 70$ for the 1Gigabit service. Is Cox going to be competitive or charge an even more outrageous price for the same service as leading competitors. Considering there isn't a competitor in Las Vegas, I am assuming they could do what ever they want, but I am still curious to see their plan.
  • Posted by lloyddlv
    17 Feb 2015 5:25 PM

This is not fast enough:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4150844671

• Posted by Health Edge
    17 Feb 2015 8:08 PM

lloyddlv
    This is not fast enough:

Do you have Gigablast? If not then you don't want to post here. Instead, create a new thread. That way your problem gets the attention it deserves. Try to include the following info in the thread;

1. Are you connecting wired or wireless? It's best while troubleshooting to bypass any router you may have and connect direct to the cable modem.

2. Whats your tier/plan?

3. What kind of modem/gateway do you have? 

I am not a moderator or employee of Cox in any way. Anything I say should be treated as such.

• Posted by TiffanyR
    18 Feb 2015 5:20 AM
    Hello David092431, 

You can check for availability and find out more information about gigablast at http://www.cox.com/residential/internet/giglife.cox?sc_id=cr_dm_camp_z_giglife_vanity

Tiffany R. 

• Posted by spamuser
    23 Feb 2015 12:45 PM

Since Gigablast is basically a figment of most imaginations, I have a great idea for a new cox commercial for when COX regular Internet is down.

Picture a young girl sitting on the toilet.  She says, "This is what I do when COX internet is down!"

The ad would win an award!

• Posted by rtaylor81
    1 Mar 2015 12:10 PM

When is Gigablast coming to East Mesa?

• Posted by wolfman
    2 Mar 2015 8:21 AM

yes I have run my speeds several times because I have so many problems with my webmail acting like it's the dark ages and I mean it either will not load or it says the page cannot be displayed or does  not exist and IF it does it can take up to 30 seconds or more, my download speed is over 60 MBPS, upload is really slow under 6 but I don't do much except e-mails on other sites, NOT Cox but my Cox webmail is so freakin' slow it is driving me nuts. anyway has anyone heard what the rate will be for the GigaBlast because for what  I'm paying now I could be happy  at just over I think 64MBPS download speed. I've already dropped everything thing else form MY bundle because my bill was running over  $230 a month I've been with Cox for 25 years so I don't get any of the new customer discounts and when I did drop they didn't really seem to CARE noSuper Angry one, seriously no one called to ask why or make any offers nothing just turn in your boxes so you don't get charged for them, so if the rate is going to increase by more then what I'm now paying they can keep it. I do use a router with no noticeable drop in speed on either my lap top or desk top