Introducing Cox Gigablast

Introducing Cox Gigablast

Internet Forum

Activity: 487 Replies | 61 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

Welcome to the Gigablast Internet thread where we invite you to discuss all things GIG Life related! 

Gigablast  is Cox’s fastest Internet ever – up to 100x faster than average broadband! Gigablast delivers speed to power all your devices at the same time and offers the fastest in-home WiFi available, lag free streaming, and downloads in the blink of any eye! 

Ready to get Gigablast? Visit to see if its available at your home. Already have Gigablast? Feel free to share your experiences or let us know how we can help keep you moving at the speed of life!

Cox Support Forums Moderator

All Replies
  • Posted by MariaL
    12 Jan 2018 1:50 PM
    Hi OCtommy,

The link provided below will assist with your inquiry.

You can sign up to get updates on GIGABLAST Internet and get notified when service is available in your area.

Maria L.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator

• Posted by nbk7ak2
    26 Jan 2018 9:37 AM

I just ordered online the Gigablast upgrade.  I will await my package in 3-5 days.  I'm not sure why this can not be a download?  Anyway, I was getting speeds of download of 120-200 mbs, but now I'm barely at 16 mbs.  I upgrade, and my speed gets downgraded?

I am also reading a lot of people indicating that when you order the new service, that you must call a Cox service rep to complete the installation.  Is that the $20 self installation kit?  Anyway, many on the forum say that the service rep will push for the "truck" install which is another $75, which is completely unnecessary.

I will come back later to report on my findings....

• Posted by DataCapsStink
    8 Feb 2018 10:51 AM

Gigablast won't be much fun with a tiny data cap of 1024 GB per month.

Netflix alone uses 3 GB per hour on HD and 7 GB per hour on 4K UHD.

Maybe a single person living alone would be able to get by with 1024GB since that would be 341 hours of HD per month or 11 hours per day. 

For 4K that would be just 4.8 hours per day. But I guess that's the point. Cox wants us to pay for cable TV and watch commercials.

When you toss in all sorts of other usage such as YouTube, audio streaming, cloud backup of your trip pictures / videos and game downloads even a single person could possibly exceed that data cap.

I can't imagine how an average family of four with two kids on their tablets watching YouTube all day in HD would not go over that data cap. 

• Posted by hackztor
    21 Feb 2018 9:40 PM

That is why the option exists to pay for the amount overage or to upgrade to true "unlimited" for an extra $50. If you have a family of four people and use a lot more bandwidth up, it makes sense to charge extra to said family versus the single person household.

• Posted by DataCapsStink
    3 Mar 2018 12:18 PM

Have you found that the 1024GB data cap is a problem?

We are still on the 150 / 10 premier plan and the data cap has been a problem. :( 

I've turned off my cloud backup services to avoid the overage charges from Cox. 

We're looking forward to moving back to a Spectrum area with no data caps.