Introducing Cox Gigablast

Introducing Cox Gigablast

Internet Forum

Activity: 427 Replies | 52 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

Welcome to the Gigablast Internet thread where we invite you to discuss all things GIG Life related! 

Gigablast  is Cox’s fastest Internet ever – up to 100x faster than average broadband! Gigablast delivers speed to power all your devices at the same time and offers the fastest in-home WiFi available, lag free streaming, and downloads in the blink of any eye! 

Ready to get Gigablast? Visit cox.com/GIGLife to see if its available at your home. Already have Gigablast? Feel free to share your experiences or let us know how we can help keep you moving at the speed of life!

Cox Support Forums Moderator

All Replies
  • Posted by EdwardH
    29 Nov 2014 3:26 PM

Mrdgl, The Gig connections are installed with their own Gateway, if you are asking about Ultimate service we would recommend The Netgear CG4500BD or Ubee DDW366 for dual band connections for wireless. The full list of supported modems can be found on our site here.

Ed H. - Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by ADenton
    1 Dec 2014 5:42 PM
    Is the Ultimate Internet Service another name for Cox Gigablast? Also, though I've signed up with the fastest internet speed you offer I rarely seem to get close to the advertised speeds and I wanted to know how much a wireless router could cause issues, slowing things down. I'd gladly purchase a new router if that would fix the issue and bring my speeds back up to the high speed we know you offer. I appreciate the help and advice.
  • Posted by ColleenD
    1 Dec 2014 7:53 PM

ADenton, 

Ultimate Internet and Gigablast are 2 different things.  I've checked your equipment and your gateway is showing an unusual amount of power adjustments. If the device's power cord plugs into a surge strip please bypass it by plugging the gateway's power cord directly to an electrical outlet at the wall.

Please log in and run a test at http://bit.ly/CoxSpeedTest so that your results will be logged to your account. If you are not seeing the results you are expecting, please ensure you are using a wired device and run the test again. wireless speeds will typically be slightly lower than wired speeds.

Let me know when that is completed so we can review your results.

ColleenD 

• Posted by DjRaziel
    2 Dec 2014 2:09 AM

Will gigablast also have a data usage limit like all the other plans?

• Posted by ChrisL
    2 Dec 2014 9:40 AM
    @DjRaziel

The last information I saw made available had the data allowance for Gigablast listed at 1TB/mo.

-Chris

• Posted by HokieDave
    4 Dec 2014 5:01 PM

The link (which does not seem to be correct - URLs on non-Windows servers are usually case sensitive so I think you need to use http://cox.com/giglife , not the version with capitalization) doesn't show my anything other than a spash screen - nothing useful about when it will be in my area.

So I googled and found http://www.dailypress.com/business/tidewater/dp-tidewaterbiz-cox-20141029-story.html ... very interesting ... all new homes in all Cox markets will have it starting in 2016.

I was hoping we would get gigabit in my area.  I'm looking to move in the next year or so, so I know what one of my requirements is going to be. ;)

• Posted by wees41
    8 Dec 2014 2:44 PM

How is the digital phone delivered  if the customer orders Gigablast?  what about sharing the internet with other equipment like tivo and other computers?

• Posted by XoLeRaS
    8 Dec 2014 10:55 PM

What about Tucson? the sales rep told me *within the week* when I asked him when will it be available in Tucson, that was three months ago... he also told me there was no caps with the 99 dollar a month ultimate service, but he was wrong again, there is a 400 gb cap.

• Posted by ChrisL
    9 Dec 2014 8:04 AM
    @wees41

My understand is at this time your other Cox services will continue to be delivered over the existing HFC network in areas where that option is available.

-Chris

• Posted by ColleenD
    9 Dec 2014 7:17 PM
    Dimitri, 

You can check www.cox.com/giglife for availability and sign up for updates. Just make sure your site is set for your location in the top right corner. 

ColleenD 

• Posted by earl bakken
    11 Dec 2014 2:34 PM

Do I need to upgrade my cable modem?

• Posted by ChrisL
    12 Dec 2014 6:49 AM
    @earl bakken

I think the answer to that depends on the context of your question.  Gigablast is not delivered via cable modem so no cable modem is necessary.  If you're asking in the context of what you currently subscribe to I think you'll be fine with what you have for a little while.

-Chris

• Posted by lblock
    12 Dec 2014 11:08 PM

my router was the problem. I purchased a nighthawk triband router from best buy and I am getting full speeds( mine is the premium getting 120 Mbps from speakeasy speed test.

• Posted by jlemi
    18 Dec 2014 12:43 PM

Disappointed in the COX gigablast.  After 6+ hours of several installation folks running around my house I find out that my computer that runs XP will not interface with the gigablast system.  Solution stated was to go by a new computer.  After it was all done they said they should have asked you what operating system I had before we installed it.  COX pushed the deal without knowing how it would affect my household.  So trying to save money on their deal is going to cost me more.  Be cautious of the better offerings.  Very Disappointed!

• Posted by ChrisL
    18 Dec 2014 1:47 PM
    @jlemi

I'm sorry to hear this was so difficult to figure out.  Indeed what many customers are finding out is that the Internet is now getting faster than most computers or devices available.  Upgrading the computer will provide many additional benefits beyond faster Internet.  That being the case I think you'll enjoy working with a newer machine much more than what you're working with now.

-Chris