Modem setup question

Modem setup question

Internet Forum

Activity: 6 Replies | 2 Subscribers

This question has been solved
Posted by
my new modem will be arriving soon to replace my modem/router combo. My question is, do I "need" to connect via the ethernet port to set it up or can cox get it "set" from their end with just a phone call? reason I ask is my laptops don't have an ethernet port and I've read that once i connect the coax i'll need to use the browser to get the an 'activation page.' the router uses a smartphone app to configure so i was hoping i could just plug in the modem and hook up the router to begin configuring settings. just trying to get things in order to make the install go smoother:) it appears my cisco 3825 has lost it's wireless capability (in addition to the constant reboot/fail/reboot cycle). the LED is still lit but the SSID is no longer visible.
Verified Solution
  • Posted by TiffanyR
    8 Jan 2018 6:56 AM
    Accepted Answer

Hello Rhsortho,

If you are unable to self activate the modem, we can do it for you. Once you receive the modem, just email my team at with the Mac Address, Serial Number, and a link to this thread.

Tiffany R. 
    Cox Support Forums Moderator

All Replies
  • Posted by rhsortho
    8 Jan 2018 5:34 PM
    Thank you, Tiffany! will try when I get it, and if I can't get it activated I will do what you suggested here.
  • Posted by JonathanJ
    8 Jan 2018 5:41 PM

Please keep us updated.

Jonathan J
    Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by rhsortho
    13 Jan 2018 10:13 PM
    just a quick update and a question about power levels. The install went fine and interent seems ok. The only hiccup was on the 2nd day- that next morning apparently had dropped offline overnight and would not reconnect til after I unplugged the power AND unhooked the coax. That hasn't happened again. I logged in to the modem to have a look around and noticed the upstream levels sit at around 49-52 occassionally 54. Speed/connection remains and seems ok. Are these numbers within spec? The downstream are all around -3.0-3.7, and SNR's 37-39dB. When looking at the event log I see LOTS of errors "crtitcal/warnings/notices" what looks like T3's T4's(?) and various other messages. Should I be concerned? again, speed seems to be ok as is the connection. The modem is hooked up to the main cable downstairs with 1 2-way splitter. there is one other splitter in the upstairs bedroom. would replacing the splitters be something to do or is 49-53 within range? thanks again.
  • Posted by rhsortho
    14 Jan 2018 11:26 AM
    I've just removed the 2-way splitter and the upstream went form 52 to 42-44. So now my next question is, can anyone recommend a good quality 2 way splitter to try? (this current one is the one that came with the Cisco "kit" form Cox. are there any "specs" I should look for? i'd hate to go thru a trial and error to find a good one.
  • Posted by Allan
    14 Jan 2018 6:26 PM

You can get a new splitter from any of our retail stores. 

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.