Email quirks

Email quirks

Internet Forum

Activity: 16 Replies | 2 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

Since most email in my spam folder is now legit email I have question...

when I mark it legit, where does it go? I cannot see it in my "inbox" but if I download to my mail client it USUALLY but not always downloads. Today I pulled 2 out and only 1 downloaded.  I cannot find the other in "trash" on my webmail nor did it download nor is it in spam.  It has actually disappeared.

like my money every month I pay cox!

and thanks for having me check spam twice a day now. I have so much time for that. 

All Replies
  • Posted by LatitiaS
    22 Nov 2017 11:15 AM

Hi socal transplant,

Marking the emails as not spam should not move it. This should only report it as not spam.  Have you tried using the safe sender's list to mark the said items as safe?

Latitia S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by socal transplant
    30 Nov 2017 11:20 PM

do i REALLY have to mark amazon as "safe?"  cox has put every email i've gotten from amazon this season in my spam folder. including another one tonight, in spite of the fact that i flag it as NOT spam, transfer it into my inbox, download to my email client and THEN send it...with full headers ...and increasingly abusive language i'm afraid, to "thisisnotspam@cox.net," which i didn't know existed until i read another post. WHY can't this company get this spam filter under control??

and it DOES move it. after i give it a thumbs up, it totally disappears from my webmail, but when i download to my mail client...it's there. so, you are incorrect about the process. 

and once again...i am NOT getting notifications when there are responses to my posts.  your 3rd party is not doing it's job again.  but i'm still paying for it.

• Posted by Allan
    1 Dec 2017 7:03 PM

@social transplant,

If your mail client does not have the option checked to save a copy to the service, then the mail client will delete the email from our webmail service when downloading. 

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.

1 Dec 2017 7:34 PM

allen, my mail client DOES leave it on the server. i think i've confused you. can't get used to this "folder" designation business.

mail goes into my spam folder. but it's legit mail. i click it as "thumbs up." it leaves the spam folder, but does not show up in my inbox folder. i download to my mail client. it's there. and THEN, if i go back to the webmail, it IS in my inbox folder. so it's being moved. but it temporarily totally disappears!

i leave stuff on the server so i can selectively delete what i'll never need, but keep emails that i might need if i have a computer failure.  it's a safety net. it also has all my friends & important email addresses.  i've lost them all twice now & it's a pain. i'm not crazy...really! there's a method to my madness!

• Posted by Allan
    2 Dec 2017 1:46 AM

@socal transplant,

How long is it taking to move from one folder to the next? Also, is this happening with multiple emails from the same sender?

Thanks,

• Posted by stinkfoot63
    2 Dec 2017 4:18 PM

From my experience this is incorrect (web mail).  The emails are immediately transferred to my inbox but subsequent similar emails still go to my spam folder.

LatitiaS

Hi socal transplant,

Marking the emails as not spam should not move it. This should only report it as not spam.  Have you tried using the safe sender's list to mark the said items as safe?

• Posted by Allan
    2 Dec 2017 9:00 PM

@stinkfoot63

Are you also experiencing this email issue? 

Thanks,

Allan  - Cox Support Forums Moderator

2 Dec 2017 10:27 PM

allen.  it's seldom the same sender...except for amazon & paypal emails...all of which state that it's about an order! all of which go to my spam folder. in spite of two weeks of reporting 'thisisnotspam."  sooner al forwarded me  (on another thread) a suggestion by your dustin about setting filters. i am playing with that for this problem.

again, it doesn't move, it disappears! from the spam folder. from the site.  but it is immediately downloadable.  i also have discovered that if i refresh my webmail page it is there.

so how many clicks & waiting for the cox site to load, refresh, etc...and that takes FOREVER! cox sites are the slowest loading sites on the web, does it take? i do precious little with my days now besides tend my email. so unproductive!

• Posted by Allan
    3 Dec 2017 4:19 AM

@socal transplant,

The email(s) are being moved from the spam folder to the inbox. However, with webmail being a browser based service, the page needs to update to reflect this change. This is why it shows up after you refresh the page. 

Thanks,

• Posted by stinkfoot63
    3 Dec 2017 2:48 PM

Allan

@stinkfoot63

Are you also experiencing this email issue? 

Thanks,

Allan  - Cox Support Forums Moderator

Not really.  The emails are moving to the inbox okay when marked as legitimate- but that apparently is the only thing being accomplished.  Subsequent emails from the same sender with same or similar subject lines will still end up in the spam folder.  I'm not too bothered by that though.  Address only if you deem it important.

I am noticing that often emails take a lot of time to move and to delete as well.  I've warmed to the new format as I feel its benefits outweigh some glaring drawbacks... mostly related to speed in all functions, logging in, etc.

• Posted by Allan
    4 Dec 2017 1:45 AM

@stinkfoot63

You will want to forward/send an email to thisisnotspam@cox.net so that our email team can fix that issue for you.

Thanks,

• Posted by stinkfoot63
    4 Dec 2017 12:22 PM

stinkfoot63
      I'm not too bothered by that though....

Allan

@stinkfoot63

You will want to forward/send an email to thisisnotspam@cox.net so that our email team can fix that issue for you.

Thanks,

Are you completely sure I'll want to do this?  Kindly explain to me what happens when an email is marked as legitimate?  My understanding is that a copy was already sent to that address to be dealt with.  Surely the failure of action taken when I initially designate as legitimate an email your system flagged as spam points toward a failure of your automatic system to properly forward the mail.... no? 

Perhaps your illustrious team is receiving forwards that are blank.  I know that a couple times I reopened a draft only to find the "saved" version to lack any content whatsoever.  Manually forwarding a legitimate email isn't going to help address any such bugs and as I asserted, I'm not bothered by that so no, I will not want to be doing this.  If you wish for my assistance in dealing with the glitch by forwarding emails then phrase it in that manner.  I was offering the observation in the spirit of helping ferret out an issue that's quite possibly related to the OP so maybe it's YOU who would want ME to forward any future emails subject to this behavior and I'd be beyond happy to do so.

Thank you.

4 Dec 2017 5:33 PM

seems like that would work, doesn't it allan?  i've been doing that for 3 weeks now & all my amazon order info and paypal billing is STILL going into my spam folder. even after i've cleared it as not spam in the webmail.

so maybe stinkfoot is on to something.  a glitch in a cox system? imagine my surprise.

and stinkfoot...please tell me what you've found to be superior about this new system. i must have missed something!

• Posted by stinkfoot63
    5 Dec 2017 12:09 AM

It seems to handle large photo attachments better than the old system which often hung when I tried to open a message containing a large attachment.  The new system also refreshes and displays new messages that come in while I'm logged in... I don't need to log out then back in to receive them as I did with the old system.  Of course I had it set to "classic" as opposed to "enhanced".

I wouldn't necessarily use the word "superior" to describe the new system or any of its features but there actually are a few things I find to be better than with the one it replaced.  There are some things i find quite annoying about it too... speed being one of them.  The odd default with the check boxes by messages when I'm coursing through a folder and deleting messages.  Of course the way the new system chose to handle message filters that transferred from the old I found particularly annoying.

Just because I can see some redeeming qualities to the new system doesn't mean I suddenly like the manner in which Cox chose to unceremoniously dump it onto the customers... that is not how you treat someone who is respected and appreciated.  It's how one might treat a customer that is taken for granted.... our "friend in the digital age"?  With friends like this who needs enemies?

socal transplant

seems like that would work, doesn't it allan?  i've been doing that for 3 weeks now & all my amazon order info and paypal billing is STILL going into my spam folder. even after i've cleared it as not spam in the webmail.

so maybe stinkfoot is on to something.  a glitch in a cox system? imagine my surprise.

and stinkfoot...please tell me what you've found to be superior about this new system. i must have missed something!

5 Dec 2017 8:32 PM

stinkfoot, i have 2 things to share .

first, the checkbox issue: if you keep your cursor on the email., you can go down the list with nothing happening.  if you want to delete it, THEN click the box....and you can continue in that column for multiples.  you just have to train yourself to go back to the email column after you've deleted what you want to.

next, the continuing to go to spam issue: i finally called last night, got elevated to level 2 (woo hoo!) and today got a request for more information. of course, by the time i called back, some one had closed the ticket (they must get a bonus or something), even tho they never talked to me. so the gal i got today took me on a little tour (more in depth than the "guided tour") and much to my surprise, we found that there was an ENTIRE PAGE of blocked senders.  most of which i have no clue who they are. none of which i had blocked. except one.

this area trumps any filters you make and sure enough, amazon, paypal, ebay...were all there.  i trashed them & now we'll see what happens.  i have orders on amazon that should ship soon. let's see where that goes. 

they need to get this gal to do a video we can watch! and they should have warned about this in the first palace. no idea how these sites got blocked here. boy do i feel safe!