Data Cap

Data Cap

Internet Forum

Activity: 254 Replies | 33 Subscribers

This question has been solved
Posted by

Congratulations..... after having me as a customer at two addresses for a total exceeding 35 years, you have finally managed to force me to leave.

Most companies have limited their greed to a max of $50 a month in overages...NOT COX.

Some companies offer an upper tier for unlimited data...NOT COX

Some companies don't even enforce a cap for customers that use multiple services...NOT COX.

What does COX want to do...charge me $200 extra a month to exceed a 2tb cap that they took away in the middle of the night and changed to 1tb, to increase their profits.

At that price, do you realize I could sign up for three Ultimate tiers at the same address, cause more of the imaginary network congestion you claim and still pay less than what you greedy bast#ds want?

Let this serve as my two month grace period before I cancel TV, INTERNET and PHONE service. I'll be calling you soon.

All Replies
  • Posted by MichaelJ
    27 Jun 2017 2:44 PM
    Hi, Internet speed is the measure of how quickly information is transferred to your device. Data usage is the measure of how much data you’re consuming. Faster speeds do not mean you will hit your data cap faster. It would just deliver it to you faster.

Mike J.

Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by zaery
    27 Jun 2017 3:14 PM

Uhhhhh.... what? The data cap is 1TB. If you receive data faster, then you can get to 1TB faster.

• Posted by ReneeG
    27 Jun 2017 3:24 PM

Hi zaery,

Check out http://bit.ly/2ifXExf to learn more about data usage.

Renee G.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator

• Posted by zaery
    27 Jun 2017 3:35 PM

I read that this morning, because it was in the email I got that detailed how unfairly you're increasing my prices.

• Posted by Rygrath
    27 Jun 2017 5:07 PM

Seriously. I just received that email too. My household streams media from various sources all the time from Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc. With HD material 1TB will be used up in a few days.

TimeWarner has it right. You get what you pay for, unlimited usage. It's the 21st freaking century. People are streaming and this is just a move showing how unethical their practices are to dive deeper into your wallet. Absolute trash as far as I'm concerned. If you have problems delivering promised speeds to people, build a better infrastructure. Modernize, adapt, improve services. Don't try to steal money out of my pocket because you can't deliver.

I'm now shopping for a different provider and you will be receiving a call very shortly to cancel services.

• Posted by fliceflo
    27 Jun 2017 5:26 PM

This might be the most ignorant thing I have ever read. "Faster speeds do not mean you will hit your data cap faster." Uhhhhh yes it does.

As OP said how can cox honestly justify a data cap that you can hit IN LESS THAN 8 HOURS on a 300mps connection speed? WTF is this nonsense. I will be looking for a new company for internet even if it is just out of spite at a slower speed.

• Posted by ViNNyDi
    27 Jun 2017 6:11 PM

This is a bad move especially for those who exceed the 1TB cap and cannot sign up for the 2TB Gigablast service if it is not available in their area. My household averages around 1.5TB which will add an additional $100 dollars to my bill. The cost of the overages is more than the plan itself. I have found another company in my area that provides unlimited internet and will switch once the grace period ends.

• Posted by JHellmann
    27 Jun 2017 6:11 PM

Ya unfortunately Cox has decided to spit in the faces of their consumers. They say only 98% of people are affected. Maybe for now. Until they start tweaking the caps to milk more money out of us. Thanks COX, you started something that will inevitably hurt you. I would be surprised if people veer away from you.

• Posted by Rygrath
    27 Jun 2017 9:03 PM

Thank you fliceflo. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that concept. The faster your speeds, the faster you can hit your limits. And Cox is talking about getting Gigaspeeds out. What a joke. What's the point of that much speed so you can smoothly stream 4K content, if you'll use your allotted cap in less than a day?

The greedy CEOs, accountants and share holders must be sporting some stiffies of all the money they'll collect on overage charges. 

And this folks is why you don't allow companies to create monopolies. They become corrupted greedy entities looking for anyway to screw the consumer over. Cause, if there's no competition, then you have no choice but to stay with them.

Luckily in my area, I don't have that problem. I've spread this along to all those I recommended Cox to. We are all now going to be cancelling services and going to one of their competitors. But, don't worry, they've already calculated the loss will be covered by those extra fees.

Make BILLIONs of dollars a year and can't be bothered to invest in better infrastructure. What happens when 8K video comes along? The technology of the internet is increasing everyday as these dinosaurs are stuck with ancient practices. Disgusting.

• Posted by asdfasdf
    27 Jun 2017 10:57 PM

by the way cox I noticed how convenient it was that you exempt your own streaming services from the list of things that use the data cap.  

Cox runs on a Hybrid Fiber coax network, both the tv and internet run on the same lines.  There is no congestion problem being alleviated here. This is a violation of net neutrality plain and simple you are imposing a limit on our service and then providing exemptions to your own products.

This is such a transparent attempt to get at the people who are cord cutters or left you for direct tv.  

I was a cox employee, and have been a cox customer for 10 years and I will be looking to century link for my internet shortly.  

• Posted by Rygrath
    28 Jun 2017 1:03 AM

asdfasdf

by the way cox I noticed how convenient it was that you exempt your own streaming services from the list of things that use the data cap.  

Cox runs on a Hybrid Fiber coax network, both the tv and internet run on the same lines.  There is no congestion problem being alleviated here. This is a violation of net neutrality plain and simple you are imposing a limit on our service and then providing exemptions to your own products.

This is such a transparent attempt to get at the people who are cord cutters or left you for direct tv.  

I was a cox employee, and have been a cox customer for 10 years and I will be looking to century link for my internet shortly.  

And because of this I now heavily considering writing to my elected congressman and anyone else about it. Letting you stream their services with no limit while imposing the limit on everything that competes with them is the actual reason Net Neutrality was brought into existence. To stop this kind of nonsense. I'll even bring it up to Netflix who has some pull in the game. You take a great service, making plenty of money, but it just isn't enough. You come up with imaginary issues that creates a reason to take us for more money. And try to write it off as you're doing us the favor. Even telling us to watch SD over HD just to save on some bandwidth. THAT IS GOING BACKWARDS. I got high speed to watch HD programming, not the other way around.

Sorry, I never will subscribe to these types of business practices. Maybe the FCC could use a few letters as well.

American ISPs are such a joke compared with some of the other developed countries. South Korea has fibre going into almost every single household. Insane speeds and no made-up limits. Companies and their greed. Well the customers will tell you how they feel with their wallet when the money starts dropping and you screw the ones the remaining by raising their rates to keep those year end bonuses flowing.

Move on with the times, streaming isn't going anywhere. It's going to keep getting bigger and cable TV will snuff itself out.

• Posted by jtiemann
    28 Jun 2017 8:37 AM

I just received the same email and immediately went shopping for internet services.

They just lost a long time loyal customer over this.

• Posted by joesanta
    28 Jun 2017 9:51 AM

Same here, gonna need to make it at least 2TB for me to stick around.

• Posted by redcynn
    28 Jun 2017 10:03 AM

i got the same email. went online to look for my CONTRACT and guess what... after chatting with a service rep cox doesn't keep contracts online for you you have to go to the store to obtain a contract. mine was lost in a flood in august. I feel as if this is a breech of contract. I signed up and pay for a service under a contract... how can they do this.. bout to switch to AT&T here in LA ... cox is messing up with this bs

• Posted by Rygrath
    28 Jun 2017 10:10 AM

For the amount of money they make off of us and all their other investments, they are not hurting at all. They are a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. This is just their share-holders and greedy CEOs needing new boats and homes looking to put their hand deeper into our pockets. They don't have bandwidth issues. If there wouldn't be a enormous backlash, they would cap us off at 250GB just to make that much more.

Unethical money grab pure and simple. If they really wanted to, they could just create a new tier of pricing that allows for unlimited usage as it should be. The data packets are not a finite resource. They aren't going to run out of it as long as there's electricity flowing. And going by the size of the top management's bonuses they aren't hurting for money either.

I don't want nor should I have to keep an eye out on how much usage I've been using. I have enough to worry about in my life. What happens when you hit your cap? Stop using the internet? Or pay that extra money to them for no reason at all other than they said so. ***, we didn't even agree to this in the ToS when we signed up.

Only goverment agency that has a chance to handle this is the FCC. I encourage everyone to write their congressman or the FCC and file a complaint. Sickening how they are treating us, even long time customers are getting the shaft. And while they smile and smoke that next cigar over some congac, the rest of us that work hard to pay our bills are now watching more money being taken away for NO reason at all.

Don't let the moderators fool you, their job is to point us to that data usage page to make you feel this is a good thing. There is no improvement of service, there is no congestion happening, this is just about getting more money out of you. Some people have already posted seeing an increase of $200.00 on their bill, doing nothing more than what they have been doing before this change came along.

Data caps are imaginary people. They are not looking out for your best interests. Data caps should have died back in the stone age of the internet and should not be part of the 21st century where we are using the internet for almost all our entertainment now.