Email Outage Update 3:30pm December 16

Email Outage Update 3:30pm December 16

Internet Forum

Activity: 70 Replies | 11 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

First we want to acknowledge the impact of the residential email service outage on our customers. We know this experience is not consistent with our promise to deliver reliable products and services, and sincerely apologize for the frustration this has caused.

Here is what we know:

1)    We have isolated the cause to an issue within the email storage platform that supports Cox Residential Email in service areas in our Midwest and East Coast regions. This outage does not affect Cox Business customers.

2)    Cox technical teams are working around the clock with email platform vendors to restore service as quickly and safely as possible. Unfortunately, we do not expect services to be restored today.

3)    This outage is not the result of a cyber-attack or any form of cyber terrorism.

4)    Some customers have asked about a redundant backup system. Our enterprise infrastructure exceeds industry standards and includes multiple levels of support designed to ensure reliability. Unfortunately, this outage affected the primary and secondary failover (back-up) systems.

5)    Our email service is supported by multiple servers. As we successfully bring each server back online, customers on that server will be able to access their email.

6)    Currently, all messages that have been received since Friday are queued in our system and we anticipate delivering messages to customers on a rolling basis as we bring the platform back online.

7)    We cannot provide a definitive restoration time, but are expecting multiple phases, including when customers will be able to send and receive new messages as well as the delivery of currently queued emails.

8)    If you must send or receive an email during this outage, you may want to create a temporary new email account from a service such as Yahoo! or Hotmail.  This will not allow you to gain access to your cox.net account. However, you will be able to send and receive email while your cox.net email is inaccessible.

We want to reiterate our commitment to restore services to our customers as soon as possible. As we stated earlier today, the multiple components and processes that make up our email system require care, and some time, to bring them back online. Our next update will be around 6:00pm Eastern.

- Frankie

Cox Support Forums Moderator

All Replies
  • Posted by trudy
    16 Dec 2012 2:38 PM

Thanks very much for that detailed information.

• Posted by N2Volleyball
    16 Dec 2012 2:40 PM

Thanks for the update.

• Posted by drtran83
    16 Dec 2012 2:42 PM

Thanks for the update.

For those planning on opening up an account with Gmail or are already using Gmail.  I highly suggest you check out their privacy policy.  As well as check out this article.  http://epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html

• Posted by Vicky
    16 Dec 2012 2:43 PM

My question is, who is going to reimburse all of us who rely on Cox Email for the cost of us losing business bids since I cannot receive emails with offers to bid on sales ??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How can I bid on offers when I can't even get them??????

• Posted by ChepachetEngineer
    16 Dec 2012 2:50 PM

Thank you for the update, Frankie.  This input is considerably more candor than Cox has provided us, up to this point. However, I cannot help but believe that there is a degree of disingenuousness contained within the text. You state in your Item-3 that this outage is not the result of a cyber-attack or cyber-terrorism. But, you fail to explain how both your primary AND secondary failover systems have been disabled.  If your enterprise infrastructure meets and exceeds industry standards, then it would not be affected by ANYTHING that brought down your main system.  It would be wholly-independent and obviate any threats (hardware or software), which threatened and/or damaged your normal mainline system.  This performance level is part-and-parcel to the requirements of primary and secondary failover system technology. Therefore, your own words and explanation fly in the face of logic.  Either your system has been attacked, or, your system did not meet and exceed industry standards.  You cannot have it both ways.  I invite your comment. (BTW: You missed your 3:00pm update deadline.)

• Posted by stinkfoot63
    16 Dec 2012 2:53 PM

Perhaps industry standards need to be looked at.

• Posted by jack
    16 Dec 2012 2:59 PM

You are right on point!  Cox is being deceptive in this latest up date. IF the outage is not the result of a security issue or cyber attack just what is it the result of?  Cox has still not told its email customers what caused the outage.  Customers need to know this in order to be able to make an informed decision as to whether they want to continue doing business with Cox.

If every Cox email customer complained to the FCC, as I have already, we will get some answers.

• Posted by mmckay13
    16 Dec 2012 3:02 PM

nice work guys. I appreciate all of your companys tireless efforts to bring the systm up. I for one will not be changing my email from cox.

• Posted by mrspapajohn
    16 Dec 2012 3:11 PM

You still have not mentioned the west coast outage. PHOENIX has also lost e-mail. If you are bringing the system back region by region, PLEASE DO NOT MISS PHOENIX!

• Posted by eldy
    16 Dec 2012 3:12 PM

thank you! we all need accurate and timely information at this point.. Exactly what caused this?

• Posted by Chris J
    16 Dec 2012 3:14 PM

Beyond disappointed with Cox over this failure and it's responses.  An ETA should not be that hard to determine if things are "in the works".  Like many, we will be reevaluating our e-mail strategy as well as our cable/internet/phone options.  Cox is no longer the only game in town in our area.  We spend over $2,000 per year for Cox services.

• Posted by Kurt
    16 Dec 2012 3:19 PM

Two days, even over a weekend, is ridiculously too long and I hope Cox is planning a nice rebate for their loyal customers who have been screwed. It's not just business, it's the holiday season and travel plans are trying to get done. We all appreciate your 'commitment to restore services to our customers as soon as possible', now just go do it. If you can't fix it internally then give up a small slice of profit and immediately hire the experts or can, or I won't be a customer next month if I wake up tomorrow without it, and I wake up early.

• Posted by fidk
    16 Dec 2012 3:20 PM

Just because the primary and secondary systems fail, ,that doesn't mean either it's an attack or it doesn't meet industry standards.  If you ever designed a COOP, you'd know that they are designed certain failure modes and there are always others that aren't thought of or discounted as too remote.  Like anything, it's a cost-benefit.  Cox can't possibly design the Ft. Knox of continuity of operations and keep the costs down.  If email is so important as to run a business on, then those folks should have Cox business (or another business email that has the Terms of Service that are needed) or even 2 email accounts (or Twitter or Facebook) already and failover themselves.

We need to be tolerant of Cox until this is resolved.  I've been a customer with them for many years and this is the first failure I noticed.  You have to consider that there could have been many failures that none of us noticed because of  failover systems  that worked.

During Sandy, the entire Fairfax, VA 911 system went down for days (contract to Verizon), yet Cox never went down even though we were warned several times that it probably would.  Think of the Terms of Service for 911 and since Verizon botched that one you could argue your industry standards there.

All that said, I'm hoping that the will give some refunds as a goodwill gesture, but sometimes unforseen things do happen. 

No I don't work for Cox.  My experience is that they do try hard and seem to be forthcoming.

• Posted by sniper2478

As a person, who in the past was responsible for delivering deception in written word for a company, Cox has made a huge judgement error in wording. This is obviously a system redundancy problem, the fact that none exists. The person who commented chapechet/engineer is 100% correct. For those of you that accept these very poor excuses, all the more power to you. Some of us actually like to receive what we pay good money for. Cox will continue to do to us, whatever we let them do. They should credit it's customers for the down time. I have been a Cox customer for 11 years, and I have yet to see them do just that. I wish some of the experienced folks here on the forum were the people resolving our email issue. Cox, here is a message for you. Take care of the customers that take care of you. Who actually believes that there was no system security breach? That's a good one. Hey guys if you want to hear another good one, check out my DVD collection of actual Civil War Video footage. ha ha ha ha

• Posted by timoinnewton

Where would I find about alternatives to Cox's internet service.  I've read this, http://www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-america/2012/july#Chart1, but was interested in local results.