Forum Discussion

kristiemom26
New Contributor II
5 years ago
Solved

No sound using contour app.

No sound using contour app. I’ve isolated it to the sports channels ESPN and all FOX Sports channels. We get picture on tablets with no sound, but no picture or sound on laptop. We’ve spent several hours on phone with tech support.  We’ve reset modem at least 10 times.  Modem is new yesterday.  We’ve tried wireless and Ethernet cable, it makes no difference.  A technician is scheduled for tomorrow but I really think this is not a hardware issue.

Yes, we have logged out and in and have updated apps on devises.  The laptop is trying to go through the cox website.

HELP

• When I select Spanish on those channels I an hearing English spoken.  If I move to a different channel an come back, I need to select Spanish again to hear the audio.

30 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    markopolo
    New Contributor II

I have been experiencing this issue for some weeks now. Clearly Cox is not focused on fixing it. Switching to SAP is fine when it's English, but it is in Spanish for some broadcasts. 

ekhawaii
      Contributor

marko...so what market(location) are you in.  What station name(#) is on your watchtv.cox.com and are you on a PC or cell?  Hard to check problem here in SoCal without some info.  Now, you say you get only Spanish for some or All your problem stations when sliding the SAP?  Different markets apparently have different packages and stations that loose sound OR have stuck screens.  SAP sometime needs to be toggled on then off.  CurtB also has lots of good insights to this issue. If you use the language box at the lwr rt, and stay on that screen, you can toggle.

markopolo
        New Contributor II

Howzit, EK. Thanks for your suggestions. I am in the Phoenix market. Diamondbacks games are broadcast in both English and Spanish. I most often experience the issue with Fox Sports AZ, but have also experienced it on NBC, Paramount, HGTV and Food Network. Toggling SAP doesn't work for me. 

ekhawaii
      Contributor

marko....I now see some of your issues, but using the Cox app on an IPAD.  A lot different than the watchtv URL on a PC internet.  I guess that on an IPAD, you need apps and cannot go directly to watchtv like I do on a PC.

So, that being said, I also see that the wheel is under the 3bars, and on the lwr left bottom with the accessibility and there is NO English option like I see on the PC version.  Spanish and other languages are there.

I still found that my ABC, 7 still has no sound so I must toggle an SAP (English and Spanish appear).  I also see that ION, 8 has sound that starts but goes silent...again toggle SAP.  When SAP tried, Spanish  choice may still give English..very strange!  I even tried to turn OFF the SAP under the accessibility icon ( I sort of feel that this was my cause for start/stop sound on ION).  Yes, for me, if I turn off the SAP from the gear, the sound on ION starts/stops.  If I turn it on, sound may still be off but going to Spanish, makes it work.  SAP it a definite issue for COX on any platform.  WGN 68 does this too.

The IPAD App is definitely different and probably broken, like the PC watchtv.  I see that unless you have the same platform, it could be difficult for some of us to appreciate everyone's problems...Keep posting.

markopolo
        New Contributor II

EK: Yes, the apps have different behaviors. I'm guessing there's an issue with the streaming content. For example, if I try to view Fox Sports AZ on watchtv.cox.com, the video often doesn't even load. 

• Try typing in s, to toggle the SAP (secondary sound).  Or go to the box next to the gear on lwr rt and slide the button on/off.  Sometimes the screen is locked and the slider starts making it work after the screen resets.  This is a temp fix that has been used on this forum....many times works for watchtv.cox.com and cell App.  Cox will not fix till you contact them with an email.  A ? will get a list of shortcuts too.  Lets hear how it goes.

kristiemom26
      New Contributor II

My iPad gets the sound when I change the language to Spanish.  It does not hold.  Can’t check the laptop right now.  How do I get in the queue for assistance?  Will the technician coming to my house be of any value or should I cancel that appointment for tomorrow.  I hate to waste my time or his.

• When you slide to SAP or type s, does it actually change to Spanish language...and you say it does not hold....does that mean it goes blank to no sound after a few minutes or does it go blank when you slide to off.  You are correct about ESPN (15) now show little league game.  With SAP slider on,  I get English..with slider off, I get no sound but motion...here is SoCal.  ESPN2(16) also broken with ATP Tennis..  I also notice 78(pac12) is also out, and 7(ABC) has been out for weeks.  I'm thinking that Cox has an issue, but it's going to be tough sledding to get them to do something.  Having them out, at least you can show them first hand the channels that don't work and that the slider Does work most of the time and Resume will trigger something too.  The Video slider, if not grayed out also does make stuck or blank screens work.

kristiemom26
      New Contributor II

When I select Spanish on those channels I an hearing English spoken.  If I move to a different channel an come back, I need to select Spanish again to hear the audio.

ekhawaii
        Contributor

Moving to different channels and returning to ESPN(15)...you are right, the slider does not stay on....I thought I saw occasions where this stayed.  Now I get 2(CBS the Rams game with no sound....so random, at least the slider works for you.  Sometimes you have to toggle back and forth and wait for a Resume.....enjoy the games....One thing I notice, I never see the SAP change into Spanish, like I think the regular TV does.

MarkM1
    Former Moderator
    kristiemom26,

I do want to let you know that we are aware of an issue with Contour App. We are working to resolve this issue at the present time & do hope to have it resolved for you soon.

Mark M.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    panc72
    New Contributor

I have the same problem with the same channels on my iPad. 

Allan
      Hello Panc72. Our engineers are working as fast as possible to resolve this ongoing issue. -Allan Cox Support Forums Moderator
      ekhawaii
      Contributor

panc72...does the keyboard s or the SAP slider get the sound back?  Do you get Spanish or English.  If Spanish, go to the GEAR setting and try changing the Language and toggle the SAP to English.  CurtB user did say that this toggling may not hold when switching channels.  Cox says they are trying to resolve, but at least a temporary fix will allow you to watch the games today.

farrahlee
    New Contributor

Hello all, I am in the Tulsa market and am having the exact same issues on my MacBook. Spent hours with Cox tech support with no resolution. So any updates would be awesome!!!!

farrahlee
      New Contributor

But using the keyboard shortcut "S" to enable SAP does work for some channels regarding the no sound issue.

ekhawaii
      Contributor

This sound issue or stuck displays is not something that seems to be fixable thru a Cox call...I have not seen any positive responses on this bug.  The only thing that has consistently worked is to toggle the SAP or the "s" key back and forth.  A '?' shows all the keyboard shortcuts.

The only getting Spanish for SAP seems to be there only on an IPAD or maybe MacBook, but we do not get that on a PC login to the watchtv.cox.com.  I almost always, get English when I toggle on a dead station.  The Language ( accessibility on IPAD) setting under the main Gear setting does not have English for SAP on an IPAD (I looked).

So different hardware have different GUI interfaces that trigger different responses.  Also, the market area is different.  If a boot of the modem/router does not make stuff work, the SAP toggle will, at least most of the time.  There are too many random users having issues on multiple platforms in multiple markets on different channels.  Now for me, I did report to COX help and after some time that channels got to work.  Inquiring to them of what got fixed, were ignored.  I still have some stations that fail, but I watch TV instead.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Farrahlee, I have added this to the escalation we currently have in progress and notified our network engineers. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Julia_B
    New Contributor

Same issue here.  Been on several chats with Cox.  The associate disconnects me, I start a new one, I get transferred around.  I've been on chat for over an hour.  So frustrating.  

About 2 weeks ago the sound cuts out from certain shows and networks.  So far and I know, abc and cbs thus far.  

CoxPayAttention
      New Contributor

SAME! For WEEKS now! 

And thinking I might just have to start a FB group or an Insta account to get their attention to the service we SHOULD be receiveing. Can you imagine if we, as customers, had the same lack of attention to a situation??? You know, like that we didn't sign the check that paid them or we let our account go without attention for WEEKS like they have? Yeah...disconnection! That's what would happen

farrahlee
    New Contributor

Hello all, I am in the Tulsa market and am having the exact same issues on my MacBook. Spent hours with Cox tech support with no resolution. So any updates would be awesome!!!!

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Farrahlee, can you please email us at cox.help@cox.com? I'd like to see if we can replicate this issue. If so, we will need to escalate this to our engineering team. We can also be reached on Twitter and Facebook as well. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    CTJ
    New Contributor

I like his this appears to continue to be an issue despite a lengthy period of time for it to be a known issue.

DSM
      New Contributor

No kidding.  It has been a few months, on every platform ever, and yet COX is still trying to say it might be user error.  Really COX?  The common denominator is you.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi DSM, Cox is aware of the issues, and our engineers are actively working on a resolution. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator