Forum Discussion

Elizabeth_Rolli
New Contributor
6 years ago

Cox will not help me

I pay 77$ a month for my internet connection, which drops me about ten times a day.  I've called and it's been reset over and over.  A technician came to my house and said my walls are thick. 

Cox is the one I'm paying for my internet connection, which is shoddy and unstable.  Isn't it Cox's responsibility to figure this out for me? 

I try to contact someone and every time they refer me to someone else, and then a tech says, I can fix it!  And then reset my modem, even though I tell them this doens't work. 

You know, if it didn't take a full hour and a half to do anything at the Cox store, I'd cancel my conenction with Cox in a heartbeat.  I'm so fed up and infuriated and sick about paying for basic internet that Cox can't provide.

At the very least, I should be given a discount if Cox can't provide the services I'm paying for. So absolutely mediocre. 

Will someone ever address my problems?  

1 Reply

• Hi Elizabeth, you currently have no devices directly connected to your Gateway with an ethernet cord. I bet you’d see an immediate improvement using a wired connection. Wi-Fi uses radio frequency (RF) signals that work best for line-of-sight. The layout and construction of your home, physical obstructions, RF interference (generated by computers, electronics, microwave ovens, 2.4 GHz cordless phones, baby monitors, large metal surfaces), and distance from your router or Gateway all impact wireless signal strength, speed, and range. Wireless signals degrade differently based on house construction. The following signal attenuation occurs when passing through walls based on their construction:
    • 26 dB through a metal wall
    • 13 dB through a concrete wall
    • 1 dB through plywood wall
    Cox recommends a wired connection for folks in your situation. My last home had tiny rooms and a lot of concrete. I needed to utilize several powerline adapters and a Wi-Fi extender to broadcast the signal successfully throughout my house. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator