Forum Discussion

Baseball_Nut
New Contributor II
7 years ago

TV Cable Box

A general question: I've had various Cox TV cable boxes for about 15 years. I currently have Contour 2 which is by far the best of the bunch. Today, my main box worked fine (blue light on) but the mini stated no input. I first ran a signal thru which reset both boxes but still no input signal to the mini. I saw there was no blue light on the mini and did what I should have at first: unplugged the power to the mini, waited about 15-30 seconds, then replugged. I came back up just fine. So my question is: why does unplugging and replugging a cable box solve that problem? Assuming there was no over-all power interruption to my house (main box blue light was on) , would it just be a temporary power glitch inside the mini box itself? Just wondering after all these years. Thanks!

6 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Baseballfan001

Sounds like the cable box didn't complete its update and the signal was stuck unplugging the power cord for at least 10 seconds will reset the cable box and also was able to release the signal giving the cable box a solid blue light. Please let us know if you have further issues.

armentas
    New Contributor

Hi, I am having the same problem. The main box was so easy, now the other two, says there's a problem. The connection isn't coming through. My deal is they always have to send a technician out. Why? Shouldn't you be able to troubleshoot and find the problem? I've called it in twice and neither person could resolve the problem. I'm thinking of going back to contour 1!

Baseball_Nut
    New Contributor II

My advice: don't do it. I had nothing but problems with Contour 1: especially "missed" programming. Since I've had Contour 2 - about 3 months - not a blip as far as recording shows. The problem with the mini box not working was - so far - a one time thing which may have been due to it not reprogramming itself. A simple unplug/replug solved the problem. It's working fine today so I'm guessing that did solve the issue. I understand your frustration with Contour 2 on your end but I'd never go back to Contour 1. Good luck.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @armentas

Here in the office, we have tools that help point us in a direction to reach a resolution to your service disruption. If that fails the next step would be to schedule a technician out. Since the technician will physically be at your home, has extensive, specialized training, and is able to separate the different parts of your service connections, it is best if we leave a diagnosis and resolution to the technician. They will be glad to explain what they are seeing and how they will be fixing your issues. We need to first check the signal levels on your cable boxes please email your full address and the primary name of the account holder so we can work towards a resolution.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @armentas

Please send information to cox.help@cox.com.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Baseballfan001

Please let us know if you have further issues.