Forum Discussion

CUTiger78
New Contributor III
4 months ago

On Demand Movies Freeze

Just started happening on my Contour 6 boxes. I'll be watching a movie and it will stop after a few minutes. That period changes - it could be 15 minutes, it could be 5. The movie looks like it fades to black, like it could be a scene change or going into a commercial break. If I go to a different On Demand video, it will run for a while, then do the same freeze. I can go back to the first video & it'll resume for a few minutes, then freeze again. This has been going on for a week now. Any ideas?

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Does this only occur when recording 6 programs?  On Demand uses one of the available channels.  Otherwise, the fact that On Demand works at all would indicate you have a signal issue.  Contact cox.help@cox.com and include your full name, the service address and a link to this discussion.

CUTiger78
      New Contributor III

It happens when nothing is being recorded.
      What do you mean "the fact that On Demand works at all would indicate you have a signal issue."  Seems like if On Demand DIDN'T work at all would indicate a signal issue.
      You think sending Cox an e-mail is better that calling them on the phone?

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I'm just speculating that if your issue was due to a changed setting, On Demand wouldn't work at all.  The fact it starts would indicate you have some other issue.  The most obvious is a weak signal.   Yes, I think an email will get the best results.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

If you don't get anywhere with the email, try posting pictures of your boxes diagnostic. See here on how to access them. I would be curious what the QAM and DOCSIS status say.

CUTiger78
      New Contributor III

That link is to an 11-year-old post and it is a little hard to follow.
      Do I get into the network report by pressing & holding the front power button, then pressing it again?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

The post said "hold down the front power button until the power light blinks, then let it go and hit it one more time," so yes, that sounds about right. Sorry for the old post but that is the only one I could find on Cox forum. Pretty sure that is when the Contour 6 boxes came out. I don't think anything have changed by way of accessing the diagnostic but I am not sure.

What my question is does OnDemand use older OOB for upstream or DOCSIS? Anyone know? My knowledge is out of date as I haven't used Cox cable since the DCX3200 series. Apologies if I took the post off track.

• Happens all the time. Nothing being recorded. Happens on dvr playback and ondemand. Techs never able to fix, just replace cable box “that will fix it” (never fixes) call center can never reach boxes on their end. $300/month for service that is 100% unreliable.