Forum Discussion

Bjensen
New Contributor
7 years ago

Contour 2 resolution and audio settings

During setup I setup the contour 2 box for 1080p and Dolby 5.1 within the setup menu. These settings work just fine but when I get up in the morning the resolution and audio settings revert back to 720p and stereo.

Anyone else have this problem?

35 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    cejack4
    New Contributor

I have same problem with switch back to 720p and stereo audio.  This seems to be totally related to the cable box and not anything to do with your other connected equipment. Surprised Cox doesn't have a firmware fix for this.  Seems like a sneaky thing to do overnight that probably benefits Cox by creatign lower bandwidth utilization on their network.  

Seems like the Arris box doesn't have the problem.  Nice to know that's the solution - but they should warn people about this and see if it is a problem with their system and if they care. My wife and my parents can't tell 720p from 1080i/p but I certainly can.  And I can tell stereo from Dolby.  You're paying for the equipment that can do this and you just get crippled hardware from your expensive cable service.  Not good.   

They just switched out my cable box last month due to an issue with the signal coming from the road.  Now I have re-populated a lot of my DVR shows and the solution will be to "replace the box with an Arris and lose your DVR'd programs".   Wonderful.  

Eqbrat
    New Contributor

I am experiencing the exact same issue on my converted G6 box which is the older model Cox box that was converted to Xfinity software.  It resets back to 720p every night and requires us to go in and manually switch it back over to 1080p in the boxes device settings every day.  Prior to this box we had the Contour XG1 box which did not exhibit this behavior. 

Doing some online research, I discovered that Comcast customers were having this exact same issue on their Xfinity boxes a couple years back, but that it was finally corrected with a firmware update from Comcast.  I can only assume the Xfinity software being used on the Cox G8 boxes is potentially from the same base software that exhibited this issue at Comcast.

Here is the thread from Comcast.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/1080p-setting-keeps-reverting-to-780-when-box-is-turned-back/td-p/2442877

It would be great if the Cox engineers could work with the Comcast folks to get this corrected as it is a pretty major annoyance.

i_cut_the_cord
    New Contributor II

Glad I found this thread... now I know I was not imagining it!

Nobody at Cox will acknowledge this widely-reported problem. Maybe they are gaslighting me. ;)

I did not have this problem with my CMX013, but it had picture freezes, and they replaced with a GSX9865. Went through a comical/tragic series of service calls, where I was brought another GSX9865, then promised a CMX013 on multiple occasions, but they kept coming out with GSX9865s that of course act exactly the same way.

Finally was promised that the Hillcrest store had CMX013s, and rep said the store personnel confirmed with eyes on the box.

Went to the Hillcrest store, and ... needless to say... they did not have any CMX013s, and claimed they don't use that box any more because it is "unreliable".

I gave up and left the box at the store and cancelled my TV service. I still have Internet. $104/mo not cheap but at least I'm no longer paying for cable and got an OTT service for much less. Shopping Internet. Nobody even bothered to try to sell me Gigablast, which I guess I can get in my location now.

Update: speaking of resolution... went out and got a Mohu Leaf 30 antenna today at Target for $29.99. $10 off, though same price as everyday at Amazon, but wanted to try and take back if it didn't work out. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW! 35 local channels, with the antenna sitting on the floor under my sofa. All perfect. WAY better picture quality than cable. I'm in a concrete building at the N. edge of downtown (Cortez) and was skeptical about over-air reception. Now I just need to get one of the inexpensive over-the-air DVR boxes (there are ones to record 1,2,4 channels at a time) and then I have my time-shifted local news back, and with a better picture to boot!

Thanks, Cox, though for the excellent internet service (and I mean that - Cox manages bandwidth like nobody else and constantly splits nodes to keep up) that I can now use to go OTT. And thanks, as well, for your arrogance and abysmal internal communication, without which I would never had made the wise and economic decision to cut the cord. 

cejack4: it seems that they simply will not give you an Arris box any more. If you get to the right person, you will get an admission that they exist, and they will even "order' one for you, and even "locate" one for you in a store but you won't ever actually set eyes on an Arris box. They will just hand you another lousy Cisco box. For the most part, though, you get "no, Arris is a cable modem".

Flares
    New Contributor

Yes.... on hold now for Tier 2 support.  Did you ever resolve?

CyberCoyote
    New Contributor

Thanks for having this thread. I just set up a new Onkyo receiver and was thinking that it was the receiver degrading the video image, even though my 4K player looks great hooked up the same way. I was wondering if the lousy image I was seeing was due to the actual video being sent as 720 instead of 1080i. I'll double check when I get home. It's funny that the rebranded Comcast situation was mentioned, my Harmony remote wouldn't work with the Cisco model number, but when I set it to Comcasr XiFD (or something similar) it worked! Pretty sure I'm gonna see the output settings on the box have been changed. It worked for a year directly hooked to the TV, so I'll probably just bypass the receiver for watching cable until I can get a new box.