Forum Discussion

CWL
New Contributor
7 years ago

Contour 2 asks me to name the box

Several times, when I turn on my TV and box, the screen asks me to name the location, meaning, I assume, the name of the box. I can't do anything else until I select a name and the enter button.

I'm not sure why I am asked this, since I have only one box and don't know of anything that might access the box other than the remote.

Can anyone explain what's going on and if there is a way to keep from being prompted to name it? It doesn't happen often, but it has happened several times since it was installed.

14 Replies

• Hi DaxTheGreat, I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing the same with the DVR. It looks like you have done everything you can to find resolution. Please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com as the next step would be scheduling a technician to swap the box. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
    RickVoo
    New Contributor

This is ridiculous. Why doesn't Cox solve this problem?

Same problem here as reported above. Doesn't seem to be much of a pattern to it. Not every time but frequent enough to be very annoying. I see it with Contour 2 DVR. We NEED A SOLUTION COX FOLKS.

One more reason why "cutting the cord" is becoming attractive.

I'm going to try TURNING OFF POWER SAVER MODE.  Maybe that restart of the box sometimes initiates the dreaded question.

Here is how I'll do it:

* Power up TV and box

* Hit Contour button

* Select gear icon

* Select Device Settings

* Select Power Preferences

* Select power saver starts after "OFF"

Now, since the box is always on perhaps the dreaded "name your box location" will not pop up again. We'll see......

UPDATE:  Since I enable the power saver as described above I have not yet seen the dreaded "name the location" screen. It's been a few days so far.....remaining hopeful.

GOOD NEWS:  Disabling power saver has FIXED THE PROBLEM !  No more begging for location naming.  Why don't Cox people know how to do this ?

RickVoo
    New Contributor

Charles   See my response at bottom of blogs.  Disabling the Power Saver as described in my post fixes the problem. Good Luck.

coxtv
    New Contributor

I have 2 TVs - one always gets the annoying message as per the others on here and the other works fine. Both had PowerSaver set to 4 hours.  

I changed mine today ( after reading this board ) so Power Savings are disabled

Watch this space