Forum Discussion

Kchawkes
New Contributor
4 years ago

Xbox One sucking up data at 5 am??

We have recently moved and chose Cox internet at the new house. Our sons each have an Xbox in their rooms. Each month we have lived here we have gone over on our data usage. I finally found the area in the website where you can see which devices are using the most data. The Xboxes are using TONS of data, but not when the kids are playing. THe graph shows that they are using the data at 5 am and 6 am every morning. (These teenagers are fast asleep at this time.)

Can anyone explain this? I found the 'Pause' button for the devices and I will try and pause them when they are not being used, but I don't understand why they would be using all of this DATA!! Our bill has gone form $110 to $180. I have tried to call Cox, but after being on hold for 30 minuted each time and never getting through, I thought i would ask here.

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'm not a gamer but I suspect these consoles are an operating system, no?  Does Xbox have an Event Log?  What's happening at 5-6 AM in the logs?

Dave9
    Contributor III

Cox won't be able to answer that question for you since they can't see that level of detail. This is most likely due to game updates. If each console has 10 games installed, and if half of those games have 20 GB updates each month, that's 200 GB right there. Some games can have updates of 50 GB or more. Even if you pause the internet the console will still run the update as soon as you unpause it.

Basically, game updates can use a lot of data. Check to see which games are installed and how big the updates are.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      20 GB updates

Jeesh...how big is this OS?

Dave9
        Contributor III

Games, not OS. High resolution assets, etc.