Forum Discussion

Brenmoco
New Contributor
5 years ago

Unusually high data usuage

Recently, I have had a spike in data usage at home.  It's just my son and I, we work different shifts, 2 phones, 2 Alexa's, one tablet.  My son streams YouTube a couple of hours per night after he gets home, and I play a few games on my phone and social networking.  We went from using less than 500 gb per month to close to 1500 gb last month.  One day said we used over 300 gb.  I've asked for help on chat, and they don't know.  They just tell me their equipment isn't wrong.  This is quite frustrating, and starting to get expensive.

3 Replies

HonestAbe
    New Contributor

Same here. Last billing cycle (data) Dec 24 - Jan 23 (2019) my data spiked from a normal 300 GB per month to 895 GB. I have a TP-Link modem and router, this is the same set-up for the past few years. My router does not offer bandwidth usage logging. No new hardware has been added for at least the last 6 months. Just yesterday alone I used 100 GB.

Devices: (3) Xbox One, (2) Google Mini, (1) Google Home Hub, (2) Chromecast, up to (4) phones depending on when my children are here, and (4) smart bulbs (TP-Link LB100). These are the same devices I have had for months. 

Brenmoco
    New Contributor

We've had Cox for a few years.  It's just a regular router.  I'm not home, I will look at it more closely when I get home.

Brenmoco
    New Contributor

Also, we had a power outage in the middle of the month of the spike.  When power came back on, it said that we needed to upgrade our equipment (cable box).  I asked if that would have anything to do with it, and they didn't think so.