Forum Discussion

CalebDaltyn
New Contributor
5 years ago

Unexplained Data Usage Spikes

I have noticed some very weird spikes in my data usage meter. On November 21st the meter reported I used 1,425GB of data, up from my general average of 10-15GB per day at most. Had to call customer support and have them credit back the $100 in overage charges, as it was clearly an error and I had even remembered that we didn't even stream any television or music that day. The representative mentioned that he had several calls with similar concerns, and that there must have been a bug in the system or something. They also suggested I change my WiFi password, which even though I know the network hadn't been compromised I obliged.

Fast forward to today, I notice that it shows on December 13th that we used 182GB which although less is still quite the spike from our general average. Once again, I had obligations that day and wasn't even home most of the day. I wish I had more internal data regarding network traffic but unfortunately I don't. Has anybody else noticed any odd unexplained spikes?

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Zurq
    Contributor II

same here 182gb on the 26th of my current and last data cycle.

Zurq
      Contributor II

update i got my credit for this.

HonestAbe
    New Contributor

Same here. Last billing cycle (data) Dec 24 - Jan 23 (2019) my data spiked from a normal 300 GB per month to 895 GB. I have a TP-Link modem and router, this is the same set-up for the past few years. My router does not offer bandwidth usage logging. No new hardware has been added for at least the last 6 months. Just yesterday alone I used 100 GB.

Devices: (3) Xbox One, (2) Google Mini, (1) Google Home Hub, (2) Chromecast, up to (4) phones depending on when my children are here, and (4) smart bulbs (TP-Link LB100). These are the same devices I have had for months. 

Brenmoco
    New Contributor

I had this happen to me in January.  It's just my son in  I at home, and we work different schedules, so it's rare that we are both home at the same time.  The most I use it for is social network and gaming on my phone.  My son will stream YouTube a couple of hrs a night after he gets home from work.  But he works second shift, so not hours and hours.  We have one day that 300 gb was used.  In the January billing cycle it says we used over 1300 gb for the month.  We usually average 300-400.  All they would tell me is that their equipment is not wrong.