Forum Discussion

OrangeCat
New Contributor
3 years ago

Unable to Receive Mail

I cannot receive Cox email, it started last night (8-11-21) and still exists this morning, Is this a Cox problem or a Me problem?  The error message that I get says the following.

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Cox” or try again.  The server returned the error: An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made.

I can send emails.

Thanks

11 Replies

JasonInPhx
    New Contributor II

A day after maintenance, the problem has finally been fixed.  Just now I was able to receive emails on my older Windows email client with SSL enabled using Port 995.

The_Cats
      New Contributor

Back working here is San Diego CA -9:45am 8/13/21

TechBob
      New Contributor

Same here, back working in Vegas at 9:30am 8/13/21

Laura2
    New Contributor

Hmmm...I've having the same problem as of this morning. Using POP on 2 PCs, one wifi, one wired. Email is fine on one PC, but not working on the other. Until I found this thread, I thought it was a problem with my PC or Outlook Express.

The_Cats
      New Contributor

pop.cox.net - can not ping server. Called into Support, they are unaware of an outage, Use COX App and they were not either. Seems Support does not read this forum.

It Noon on the West coast and its still down.

All of my other accounts and devices that use IMAP are OKAY - just POP!!

JasonInPhx
    New Contributor II

I have the same problem with POP3 on Windows Live Mail.  Two phone reps told me they are getting calls on the problem but have no idea why.  Another rep on the Cox app told me that Cox did maintenance on its emails servers this morning which why 3rd party email clients can no longer sync to receive emails, although emails can still be sent.  But he said he did not have a clue how to fix the problem. 

In short, Cox is telling customers to just use its WebMail and it is anyone's guess whether Cox will make the effort to fix its servers to once again allow 3rd party email clients to sync in order to receive emails.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

I sent myself an email this morning at 5:59 am CDT and received it at 8:33 am CDT.

John2222
      Contributor II

It stopped working yesterday at around 5pm.  However, works ok with Outlook email client, ok with Thunderbird client software, but cannon receive with Eudora client software.  I have double checked all settings for POP3 and they are all correct / OK.  Eudora is older email software but has been working perfectly until yesterday (on two different desktops does NOT work now.)

Please fix!

JiminMacon
    New Contributor

I am having the same issue in Macon GA.  No settings have been changed on my Outlook configuration.  Technical support in "chat" seem totally unaware of the issue.  Phone support wanted to "upsell" my account for PC maintenance.  Apparently the phone support techs do not know what is going on either.

I am able to send email but not receive it.  Original settings:  pop3.cox.net, port 995, SSL set to yes.  This has been happening on for going on three days now.

My question is: when will my area be corrected?

This is the error:  Task 'pop3.cox.net - Receiving' reported error (0x80040900) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

• @JiminMacon, Please power cycle the device you are attempting to use and then try again. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      JiminMacon
      New Contributor

A hard restart along with widermouthopen suggestion of using pop.cox.net instead of pop3.cox.net has corrected my problem.  I presume that pop3 is deprecated.  However, I had already tried that multiple times prior to today and did not have success.

I just received 91 emails.