Forum Discussion

nbk13nw
New Contributor
2 years ago

Technicolor CGM4981 and Orbi RB20 and satellites...

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get into the Technicolor CGM4981 router to change the SSID and maybe put this thing into "Bridged" mode to allow me to use my Orbi mesh system.  Either that or turn the 3 satellites into AP's.  Anyone have the default login info for this router?  Tried admin / admin with no luck and got locked out for a few more minutes.  

An SSID change to reflect my previous SSID would prevent me from having to change all of my connected devices wifi connections, and I have a ton.  I would prefer to use the Orbi RB20 router and have the CGM4981 as a modem only.  If not possible then at least allow me to hardwire my Orbi satellites and use those as "extenders".  Any thoughts?

4 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

First put the gateway into bridge mode. See here for instructions. Next, disable the Wifi hotspot(unless you want it) to stop conflicting with your Orbi's network. See here for instructions. That is assuming you don't have any wireless TV boxes. Next, connect orange ethernet port 4(2.5Gbps) to the WAN/internet (yellow)port of your Orbi and install in router mode.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

BTW, why rent the gateway if your not going to use the router part of it? Do you get it for free? If not it would be cheaper just to buy your own stand alone modem like the Arris S33.

::edit:: I see that you had a SB8200 as per here. Why not use that?

nbk13nw
    New Contributor

Update...  Got into the router but I cannot see a way to change the SSID, still looking but not very intuitive.

nbk13nw
      New Contributor

Ok, found that now.  lol.  Maybe I should have waited a little longer before posting this question.  I just need to figure out how to set up the Orbi RB20 now.  Should I shut down wifi on the Cox router and use the Orbi RB20 or just the satellites as extenders?

Easy way out is to change the SSID to match what I had previously and call it a day.  Best solution may be to run the Orbi in AP mode?