Forum Discussion

tonguetwister
New Contributor III
7 years ago

New "Improved" Cox Speed Test

I applaud Cox for its effort in reworking their previous online speed test. Still based on Ookla's engine, I found it more responsive than its predecessor. It also displayed a download speed more consistent with what I'm paying for with Cox Ultimate.

Now comes the "However" part (you *knew* this was coming, right?)

There are still two versions of Cox Speed Test: one which requires Adobe Flash to be installed on the host computer, the other does not. As it is my own personal choice *not* to have Flash installed, the results shown are from the non-Flash test site.

I conducted two separate tests, both using 5Ghz WiFi; the first one using Cox' non-Flash, the other test was conducted immediately afterward with an installed, stand-alone Ookla app version on a Windows 7 desktop.

(Repeated attempts to include a resized image to this post were unsuccessful. Instead I have opted to include a link to imgur.com, where the image may best be viewed) https://imgur.com/a/6mW40

As you can see, the Cox results reflect a higher ping rate than the Ookla one. This may be the consequence of a more distant server (in this case, Atlanta). Unlike the Ookla app test, using the Cox test does not currently allow a user to choose a more local server.

You may also notice a significant difference in the download total, where, using the Ookla app I get 45% better download.

To recap I again say 'bravo' to Cox for responding to address an issue which many subscribers have voiced their concern about. While I don't wish to suggest or infer 'back to the drawing board', this version of speed test defintely has the potential to be even better and more useful.

3 Replies

• chaloots,

Thank you for your feedback. When accessing the new speed test tool at https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/speedtest.html you should see an option to choose a server under the "start test" button.

To my knowledge, the flash dependent version of the speed test has been removed from the Cox web site, but please let me know if you've found otherwise so I can get it updated.

• I strongly recommend using testmy.net for speed tests. It's entire HTML5 based, has proven very reliable, and gives you lots of options, such as checking only download or only upload, as well as allowing you to customize your test parameters. It also provides a simple scheduled test feature, so you can run repeated tests over time. And it's independent. No connection to any ISP or providers, no conflict of interest.

Testmy.net is how I know just how bad my Cox service is.

https://testmy.net/

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

Sure thing, ColleenD. You're welcome. And thanks for the update on being able to choose servers on the current Cox Speed Test. It's a beneficial option. Most, if not all popular speed test sites these days are HTML5. As far as kicking the Flash based test to the curb, good riddance. I for one won't lose a wink of sleep over it.

When in the past I've felt the need to gripe about something I haven't been shy about voicing my displeasure here. After all, that's why this forum exists.

As for a comment made in this thread about a different speed test site, one in which it is apparent that the poster particularly favors, I ran some consecutive tests. On testmy.net my download result was 74.4Mbps. Right after that I used the standalone, installed version of Ookla on my Mac where I got 92Mbps, followed by speedsmart.net with 93.3Mbps. Last one done was Cox' current one, where I clocked a surprising 109.8Mbps/12Ms ping from the New Orleans Cox server (I'm in Baton Rouge). All of the tests were done via 5Ghz WiFi. 

The difference between the previous Cox version and today's is most favorably striking. Bravo!

All that remains now is to get into the habit of continuing to utilize Cox' speed test, where (and for this I've got my fingers crossed) somebody at Cox may take notice that the results are woefully short of advertised Cox Ultimate claims.