Forum Discussion

MelloWaters
New Contributor
4 years ago

MODEM firmware

Why is it impossible to get cox to provide firmware updates to modems?  The Arris SB8200 is listed as a GigaBlast modem. Many chats later and I had one tech tell me that it "would be very illegal for Cox to control the firmware on the MODEM".  Obviously, that is not the case because the cable provider is responsible for controlling the firmware that is at the gateway.  I don't even have the ability to do that as a consumer.  So how do I get it updated>??

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Providers have policies (for several good reasons) about how endpoints are managed and most of them (especially the big ones like Cox) require that in order to connect to their network, your cable modem must run their firmware. I was under the impression during initial connection handshake the cable modem downloads the appropriate firmware (every time, no matter what) and installs and runs it. Trying to update the firmware to some other version would only result in losing connectivity until you reboot the modem, at which time it will load again from the network.

Cox technical support should be able to identify the firmware version and verify it is the latest supported version for the Cox network.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox wouldn't "control" the firmware but approve or disapprove the firmware.

For example, a CMTS and a cable-modem volley management messages to establish and maintain a connection, and providers mandate these messages comply with their rules.  If a message is too big due to lots of vendor-specific information fields, the CMTS will ignore the message.  There are many reasons to test, but this why Cox approves/disapproves firmware.  Obviously, security would be another reason.

Dave9
    Contributor III
    Many chats later and I had one tech tell me that it "would be very illegal for Cox to control the firmware on the MODEM".

This tech didn't know the answer to the question so they started making stuff up rather than just escalate the issue to someone who could give you a correct answer. They will probably continue to give bad advice to other customers until they are terminated.

The other answers in this thread are correct. Your modem will automatically receive a firmware update when it has been approved by Cox and deployed on the Cox network. You don't need to do anything to receive this firmware update. In almost all cases, whatever issue you're having is not related to the firmware version so if you have issues you should explore other possibilities beyond the firmware version.

MelloWaters
      New Contributor

Oh I know. I work in this industry. Just not for Cox. The fact that they lied straight to my face makes me want to terminate my service. My modem is still on the approved list. If they are charging me for gigablast I should be getting more than 120 Mb. It’s robbery is what it is.