Forum Discussion

Untitled_Alan_P
New Contributor
2 years ago

Lost connection four times yesterday and four times so far this morning

Router light keeps turning orange. Dropped connection four times in one hour between 5 and 6 pm yesterday. Happening again after 8 am today. I unplug modem and router, wait, plug them back in, connection turns back on and drops within FIVE *** MINUTES. What the hell is going on with this *** service??!?

26 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What model modem and router do you have? Can you post your signal levels from 192.168.100.1? I can give instructions how once I know what modem you have.

Untitled_Alan_P
      New Contributor

My router is TP-Link Archer A20, and my modem is a Cisco DPC3010. I had similar recurrent connection issues a couple of years ago; the technicians came out and found there was water in the cable box! They re-strung the cable, but it shouldn't have gone bad again so quickly.

Untitled_Alan_P
        New Contributor
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

If your modem keeps dropping connection, it indicates a cable signal issue. Have you tried replacing the cable wire ont he modem, and any splitters or barrel connecters? Have you contacted Cox about getting a tech out?

rubbishbuster
      New Contributor II

why do you always assume it's people's hardware and not something on Cox's end. Things work for days then suddenly cease working, then resume working again for days. That is not remotely consistent with a hardware issue on the user end and entirely consistent with Cox failing to provide service we all paid for.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Why are you assuming I am blaming your hardware? I am not assuming anything, just stating facts, and the things I mention are quick and easy to address, and on many occasions, fixes the issues, or at least reduces the frequency of the problem. If not then we know that you have taken all the steps you can, before having a tech come out. Bottom line, it's fast and easy to accomplish, and if it helps, then it helps. It's a good step to take, while waiting to having Cox send a tech out.

dunnm
    New Contributor III

I have the panoramic modem, and I lose connection “every” morning between 2 and 4 am. Sometimes for as little as 5 minutes, and as long as 3-4 hours. The modem wipes the logs clean, after resetting.   There is no previous log available after the reset, just from the time is reset forward.  Very frustrating.  

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I didn't even know the logs were accessible from the app. Do you mind sharing where exactly do you find them? Sounds like maintenance going on in your area if it's only happening between 2-4AM. How long has it been happening?

MasterMyDomain
      Contributor

The default time for daily updates for the TV DVR is 2:00 am to 4:00 am.  Could this possibly affect your internet connection?  It hasn't with my service - - when the DVR is stuck rebooting the internet is still OK.  I changed the update time to 4:00-6:00 am six weeks ago and haven't had any morning rebooting issues since.  But it does do an update around midnight every week or so.  I'm getting ready for bed then but did see the warning message once.  I never touched any cables, amplifiers, splitters, or couplings and blame it all on climate change.  The solution is higher taxes.

MasterMyDomain
      Contributor

Wow, yesterday I announced no rebooting issues for 6 weeks and this morning my DVR is rebooting.  Unplugging & replugging every 30 minutes over the last 4 hours hasn't fixed it.  Probably caused by the constant rain from the atmospheric river that has been drenching the San Diego area since the early morning hours.  This is just a report, not a request for help.

DanAz
    New Contributor II

same here apparentely cox is not even aware the network is under a massive cyber attacks