Forum Discussion

forumuser1
New Contributor
6 years ago

Going to cut the cord!

Need some input from others who have done this.

Two issue driving to doing this:

1.  Increasingly bored by the push TV material

2.  Increasingly angry about Cox prices and policies (long story over a year and 50 hours on the phone)

Have tried to chat with Cox about this, but they are pretty clear they want to get you on the phone to discuss - which means more calls, more inability to answer questions, etc.  So, thought I would ask who has done this and how did you feel about the end state - both in quality, quantity and cost?

I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions - so, would add Hulu, at least.  I would also install antenna in the attic for OTA (local news and broadcast programming) - looks like about 30 channels available).

How much is Cox internet worth?  I can get AT&T DSL where I am, so it is still a competitive marketplace.

Thanks!

5 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I haven't switched to streaming...yet.  I'm still researching.  I want live streaming, such as live news, football, Survivor.  I don't care about on-demand or recording.  Basically, I've discovered 2 decision points:  provider and Internet plan.  (d'uh)

Provider.  First you need to research which channels you need. This is the most important research.  I've reduced mine to 5.  Then match your research to the providers.  DirectTV Now has my 5 channels but after reading an extensive user comment section, their service stinks.  Hulu Live has 4 of my channels, so I'm researching their service.  So far, it seems dependable.

Bandwidth.  Bandwidth dictates your Internet plan, and your household dictates your bandwidth.  Meaning, how many devices in your household would simultaneously stream UHD ("4K") content?  If it'll be just one UHD stream at a time, you'd get by with 25 Mbps.  2 simultaneous UHD streams at 50 Mbps.  3 simultaneous UHD streams at 75 Mbps.  The greediest providers (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) require 15 Mbps for UHD, so bump that up for simultaneous web, email, updates and it'll be blocks of 25 Mbps.  (Simultaneous Device) × 25 = Bandwidth.

Of course, HD ("2K") requires much less bandwidth.  The greediest is iTunes at 8 Mbps but most are 5.  Same equation but uses just 15 Mbps.

Throughput is another story.  That's the Mbps Cox actually provides.  It's a good thing you're in a competitive marketplace.

Data Cap is yet another story.  That's how Cox discourages cutting-your-cord.  You'd have to monitor, administer and enforce rules in your household or Cox will penalize you for overages.

I researched how I'd conserve my 1 TB (1024 GB) cap.  If I limit my content to HD ("2K"), I could stream to 1 device for 16 hours and 17 minutes per day for 30 days and be 1 MB under my cap.  That's just streaming.  If I lowered my average to 12 hours, I'd cover web, email, updates, etc.

TV shouldn't be this difficult but, then again, ripping us off shouldn't be so easy.

forumuser1
      New Contributor

Thanks, Bruce.

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions and the speed is sufficient for them to load and not lag.

Obviously, it is always a race between ISPs, their servers and systems and the data transport system behind all of it, to support increasingly high data rate video.

My issue continues to be value vs cost - Cox, like all the providers, has issues with billing magically increasing - requiring hours to sort.

• Hi Forumuser1. We can certainly answer any specific questions regarding your bill or pricing for internet service. To get started, please email your account information including name on the account and full address to cox.help@cox.com and we will be glad to assist you with making an informed decision. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
    forumuser1
    New Contributor

OK - Cox folks got with me quickly, but their internet only price is $87/month ... does this seem really high?  I have friends and relatives with ATT unlimited internet in other locations like Atlanta and it is $30/month?  Some are actually buying access through their phone data provider ... 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Is that for 100 Mbps?  That's about what I pay for 100.  I'm thinking about reducing it to 50 Mbps.  The price isn't much better but I need to lower this awful bill.