Forum Discussion

goose3k
New Contributor
4 years ago

COXWifi SSID

Why is a COXWifi SSID being advertised on Panoramic WIFI device that I pay for? How does it impact my overall performance? Does it take bandwidth/speed away from what I pay for? Seems scratchy. 

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't believe it consumes bandwidth on your personal WiFi; however, I do believe it consumes resources on your router (processor, memory and perhaps priority).

• Hi Goose3k, along with your secure in-home WiFi, Cox Panoramic WiFi gateways broadcast a second signal called Cox WiFi. This creates an extension of the Cox WiFi network that uses a separate data stream than the one on your home network. The Cox WiFi Hotspot data stream does not impact your home network and will not impact your household's data usage or speeds. Learn more at www.cox.com/.../cox-hotspots.html. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    bearone2
    Contributor III

no big deal, when i go into my wi-fi i see my ssid but it's also secured.

walk around your neighborhood with your cell open to settings/wi-fi & you'll also see your neighbors ssid's, as you walk.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      no big deal

Which are more secure:  the ones you see or the ones you don't?

bearone2
        Contributor III

back in the old days with a linksys/cisco combo router, i could block the ssid, both pc's + laptops could connect.but that was before smartphones.

by 2010, with ssid hidden, verizon smartphones wouldn't/couldn't see/connect to wi-fi, so it was simple, show ssid, or no wi-fi access on smartphones.

being retired, home most of the time, we can get by on 1g plan with xfinity. if we go over, adds $12+tax for 2nd gig.

i see enough posts here from folks who are enticed to provide their own equipment but they don't understand it enough to troubleshoot issues that come up or when updates to their equipment come up & they can no longer connect.

i've got fast speeds for what i do, not a gamer or worried about packet loss.