Forum Discussion

MC72
New Contributor II
16 days ago
Solved

Cox Hot Spot running off my modem

Cox is using my Cox rented modem/router as a hot spot for anyone who parks by my house.  I went to Privacy Preferences and Disabled Hotspot but it still shows up.  It is an unprotected network using my subscription, my electricity to run their "free" spots.   I now have a homeless man living his car in front of my house - I think because of this wifi (he is on the phone all the time).  He comes in his car at 8pm and leaves at 9am.  I called Cox and they said all their boxes have this.   They told me to just turn it off when he is around.   So I pay and get no service from 8pm onwards.   The only solution is to buy your own router which i will do.  Or better yet, switch to another service which i guess in my area will be Frontier.   This in my opinion, is unsafe for the public and is basically making me pay for services to other people - theft.   Cox is the worst   I am writing this here to warn other people.  Also Cox told me that is the only way to lodge a complaint. 

MC72
    12 days ago

Thanks but I know that the homeless is using my box.  He comes in his car every night around 8pm and leaves at 8:30am the next day.  He just parks by our house.   For the last 3 nights, I have been unplugging the modem at 8pm every night (the cable and electricity) and now you can not hook up to the hot spot.   Finally last night he did not come.   

I basically just wrote this post so that others will know of this problem.  Just to be clear to the people telling me to change my password - of course I did that. This homeless man is not using my secure network.  He is using the second network - the open hotspot that COX is running off my modem.  I called Cox twice - no help.  They told me that all the COX supplied boxes run this and there is no way of turning it off.

Anyway, the solution is that I am buying my own modem - I don't care how much it costs - then I won't be running a hotspot for the riff raff.   And this man is most decidedly not a "gentleman" - He pollutes  - I have to pick up all his disgusting trash: toilet paper, clothing, food and about 20 cigarette butts every day.   I can't open my windows because all the smoke comes in.  

I was never told of this "service" running on my subscription and my electricity - this was a replacement box just given with no paperwork when I cancelled my cable.   

Anyway I am getting a my own modem/router. 

Thanks 

14 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

FYI, If your modem is being used as a hotspot, it, 

1. Does NOT utilize your bandwidth.
    2. Does not affect your Data usage
    3. Has ZERO affect on your personal internet usage.

Unlike AMAZON products which will allow OTHER amazon products to utilize your internet without your knowledge or permission.  https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Sidewalk/b?ie=UTF8&node=21328123011

Anesti33
      New Contributor III

Whose bandwidth does it use then? If a consumer router offers a hotspot then it will necessarily use the cable connection for connectivity. Unless Cox has devised an ingenious mesh network connecting all their hotspots wirelessly, which seems out of character.

Data usage can be measured separately, indeed. VLANs can segregate frames and packets for security and privacy, yes. But at the end of the day, you've got one box serving many masters, and resources such as memory, CPU, backplane, and DOCSIS channels are shared with your "guests" or parasites.

JulianN

Hello, we would be happy to assist with any questions or concerns you might have. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com if further assistance is needed. Thank you!

DRVEGAS
    Valued Contributor

You can disable it.  This works for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94GAEp402VE

LadyInWhite
    New Contributor II

This started a few years ago. I got the notice, but there is a way to turn it off. Found this on YouTube. I believe that's what worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94GAEp402VE

Anesti33
      New Contributor III

In this thread we're discussing Cox-provided Panoramic WiFi equipment, whereas your support link gives advice to customers who own and manage their own equipment.

Thankfully the modem/router rentals take this security responsibility out of our hands and allows Cox to manage it.

If you follow the news you would see that customer-owned routers are a weak link and very likely to be compromised, joined to botnets, and abused by threat actors, and the owners will never find out because of poor monitoring and logging.

Cox's hotspot service is a logical idea because most customers' connections have tons of bandwidth and resources to spare. Why not rent out that excess capacity to neighbors?

MC72
      New Contributor II

Thanks - but this does not solve COX using my router as a hotspot.  All of these security measures had already been taken.    My network was secure.  This hotspot is something built into the router supplied by COX that I rent.   I was never told of this.  When I saw this open access hotspot - I assumed it was a neighbor.  I had no idea it was my router.   Cox is supplying this to strangers (in my case the homeless person living outside my house that the police will do nothing about) using my monthly fees and my electricity payments. I imagine one day they will be a class action lawsuit against this - it is not right.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

If your network was secure, a homeless guy wouldn't be using it as a hotspot.  How do you know he's accessing your Wi-Fi?  Have you changed your Wi-Fi password recently?  Change it to a new, strong password and reboot your router.  See if the connection you believe is the homeless guy comes back.  Don't forget to write down your new password (offline) and store it in a secure location.  If you forget it, you'll have to reset to factory settings.

If you've taken all available security measures, your network should be secure.  Contact cox.help@cox.com for assistance.  Include your full name, the service address and a link to this discussion.