Forum Discussion

ulsterman
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Cox Cable internet is garbage. I don't know why.

When using a separate modem and router, I ping about 25-30 ms to LA. It randomly spikes to over 300 very frequently. When I take away the router and just use the modem, I get the same results. Cox told me to get a new modem, so I did. Same problems. Cox sends a tech out, they say they fixed whatever was wrong. Still get the same results. Can't get stable ping as the ONLY device on the connection. I am properly confused. 

8 Replies

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @Ulsterman

Looking from this end I'm not seeing any indication of an issue from us to the modem. It may be that the issue is just intermittent. You can try using a tool called pingplotter to monitor the connection and see if any issues are discovered. They should have a free version on their website.

-Chris
      ulsterman
      New Contributor II

This issue also seems to be a lot more prevalent after 9:00 pm. Didn't notice any issues when testing at 4:30 PM

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hello, we are not detecting any packet loss, and your modem appears to be within the normal parameters. Would you be able to provide a traceroute and/or pingplotter to the server? Please do so on a hard-wired connection to the modem. By reviewing the traceroutes, we can determine if there's latency/packet loss occurring on or off of our network. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator