Forum Discussion

Aanthar
New Contributor
4 years ago

Connection drops for 1-10 seconds every 1-2 hours

Starting roughly a month ago I have been experiencing drops in internet connectivity for 1-10 seconds every 1-2 hours. Zoom calls completely die and have to reconnect. In other cases, Zoom says "poor internet connection". In cooperative applications, I receive many syncing issues. Apps like Youtube, and Netflix work well, I suspect because their buffering can withstand a few seconds of dropped connection.

I upgraded to Gigablast to attempt to address the problem but there has been no change. Here are some details on my connection:

All in-home connections are wired. No WiFi
Download Speed from (https://www.speedtest.net/) 500 Mb/s
Upload speed > 30 Mb/s
Cable modem downstream power 2-3 dBmV
Cable modem downstream SNR 42-45 dB
Cable modem upstream power 39-43 dBmV

As far as I can tell these numbers all look reasonable.

To further isolate the problem, I have been running a once per second ping test to my in-home router, to the first cox router and to 8.8.8.8. Here are those results. -100 means the ping failed.

https://ibb.co/x5kTS98

As you can see in my testing that pinging the cox router can fail for upwards of 10 seconds.

My conclusion is that my home network is sound, but the connection to the first Cox router is disconnecting about once an hour for many seconds.

Any help in this regard would be great,

Thanks.

3 Replies

• Hi Aanthar. For testing purposes, please bypass the router, disconnect the ethernet cable and the power cord to the modem, give it 30 seconds and then plug the power to the modem back in. It will take up to 5 minutes for the modem to reset. Once the first 4 lights go solid, connect your computer directly to the modem and run some tests and try some Zoom Calls to see if there is a difference. If you need further assistance, please send an email to cox.help@cox.com and include this link along with your complete address and name on the account. - Lisa
      Aanthar
      New Contributor

Thanks. I really don't think there is an issue with my internal router/firewall, and I'm not quite comfortable connecting my PC directly to the internet without a firewall in place. However, I'll give the experiment a try.

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        You're welcome, Aanthar. Please reach out to us anytime.
        Ben S.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator