Forum Discussion

Nickr
New Contributor
4 years ago

Class Action Lawsuit for Data Overage Fraud

How many people would be interested in a class action lawsuit against Cox over their fraudulent data overage charges. Personally we had a massive increase last month over any other month with no different usage on our end. There were multiple days when we were out of town and still managed to use 50GB in that time. Customer Service uses the same canned response for everyone. They try to blame it on connected devices (we had none) or someone using our wifi. Their excuses just don't add up. Connected devices wouldn't use more data than days when people are actually home using the devices. And I'm not living next door to some rouge hacker that's capable of breaking my password. Also, if someone was stealing my wifi, why would it spike one month and go down the next? Did they just feel like not using it anymore?

It's time that we stand up together and get past their BS responses. Their data reporting is not accurate, so they shouldn't be allowed to charge extra fees for phantom data usage. The only reason they get away with this is because there are no other options in a lot of cities. This can't continue and needs to stop now!

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

In other words, nickr, your perception of data usage is highly inaccurate, distorted, delusional...and just plain false.  While you were out of town, Cox accurately measured 50 GB of data to/from your home.  You must now be trained to properly manage your data.  How dare you question Cox!

As to why Cox would purchase an independent third-party certification to prove they're not padding the numbers would be another story.  And before anyone asks, an independent third-party certification to prove your getting the bandwidth you're paying for doesn't exists.

SharonL
    Former Moderator
    Hello Nickr,

Thank you for reaching out to the Social Media Team.

The Cox Data Usage Meter has been tested and certified for its accuracy by Cox and Netforecast, an independent third party. To learn tips and tools to help manage data usage, please visit www.cox.com/datausage or download the app. If you have router logs showing a different amount of usage, then we can escalate to have it investigated.

Thank you.

Sharon
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Nickr
      New Contributor

Oh look, the same canned response you give to everyone, over and over again. The old, you need to prove we're wrong, but Cox doesn't have to prove a *** thing. You're running a monopoly in most cities and commit a fraud on your customers. I have contacted my Congresswoman, both Senators, and have filed a complaint with the FCC. I will now start contacting local state officials and will start searching for an attorney fight to end this fraud. I'm not going away anytime soon and won't stop until this is resolved for not just me, but all Cox customers that are ripped off every month by your monopoly.  

bearone2
        Contributor III

quit whining, this is a"how to fix a real problem with internet/phone/etc"!!!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

...because it's not certified for accuracy?

bearone2
        Contributor III

my usage isn't being jacked up!!

this goes right next to, "they put too much ketchup on my double-cheeseburger at mickey d's"!!