Forum Discussion

Heisenberg
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Apple HomePod disconnecting from internet

I’m running on a Motorola Surfboard modem and a Netgear Nighthawk router.  WiFi has been great and has not had any issues.  I have a Google Home, Amazon Echo, Nest thermostat, Hue bulbs, iMac, iPad, iPhone, PS4, etc. that work flawlessly on my WiFi.  Yesterday I purchased 3 Apple HomePod devices and connected them to my network.  Every minute or two they all lose internet connection, and about a minute later they work again.  I’ve reset the devices and power cycled my modem and router but the issue continues.  All other devices are working fine.

I called Apple Support and ended up being handed off to one of their senior level techs.  The first thing he asked me is if I had internet through Cox.  He said that they have received numerous complaints similar to mine over the past 24 hours and the common theme is that everyone experiencing the issue has Cox as their internet provider.  Has anyone else heard about this?  The really strange part is how it is only affecting my Apple HomePods and everything else works fine.  

At any rate, they said their engineers are looking into it, but that it might be a good idea to contact Cox to make sure they are aware of the issue.  Any advice on how to get this resolved would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

7 Replies

Heisenberg
    New Contributor II

As of 9pm EST on Friday night, the issue seems to be resolved. All of my HomePods are working fine now.  Hopefully the issue has somehow been resolved.  I will update this thread if it starts happening again.  

• Hi Heisenberg, when the 3 Apple HomePod devices lose internet connection, are your other internet-connected devices also affected? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Heisenberg
      New Contributor II

When they disconnect, all of my other devices on the same network work fine.  It seems as though the HomePods cut in and out every minute or two.  

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The Pods are speakers, right?  Do they stream from the router or though an iOS device?  I wouldn't think streaming music requires a huge throughput.  Are the speakers within a corner of your room?

thepenner4
    New Contributor

I have an Apple HomePod as well and I have been seeing this issue intermittently through the past week too. Randomly when I ask Siri to play something, or turn off the light she will tell me she is having problems connecting to the internet. I have Cox for my service as well. 

Becky
      Hi Thepenner4, do your other devices lose their connection to the internet when the Apple HomePod has trouble connecting? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator