Forum Discussion

Dylanww
New Contributor II
4 months ago
Solved

$100 fee technician

Cox says (Cox is not responsible if connection is coming into your home.) 

I have just started services and my wall coaxial connection/ outlet for the router needs to be activated. 

This will cost me $100 for a cox technician to spend ten minutes or less to come out unscrew the outlet cover and connect a wire or two. 

It”s overpriced and frustrating that cox makes its new customers pay their service infrastructure costs so the customer can pay for the cox internet service. 

Also customer experience is obviously not a priority. I went to the cox store Saturday morning then spent from 1254pm to 630pm texting with a live agent. They didn’t have any support to speak to on the weekend only live agent text. After six and half hours of the agent diagnosing my connection they said I would need a technician and  I could possibly be charged $100.

Seems there is little to no customer zeal, sincere empathy (only scripted generic responses), or desire to build a report with the customer. Customer service agents should be empowered to provide world class customer service/support and first call resolutions for cox customers and be more flexible with startup costs for new customers.

• Dylanww   Contact Cox again.  Subscribe to Cox Complete Care and schedule a tech visit to fix/activate the outlet that doesn't work.  Ask to have the $100 professional installation fee waived.  Keep Cox Complete Care at least 90 days.  If you cancel before then, Cox will bill for the professional installation fee.  This will get your Internet working at the outlet of your choice and save you $70.  Plus, you'll have CCC for other issues in the first 90 days.  See this post

51 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Dylanww   Contact Cox again.  Subscribe to Cox Complete Care and schedule a tech visit to fix/activate the outlet that doesn't work.  Ask to have the $100 professional installation fee waived.  Keep Cox Complete Care at least 90 days.  If you cancel before then, Cox will bill for the professional installation fee.  This will get your Internet working at the outlet of your choice and save you $70.  Plus, you'll have CCC for other issues in the first 90 days.  See this post

Dylanww
      New Contributor II

To clarify who am I asking to waive the pro install fee the person who I talk to when I sign up for ccc or the technician who comes to fix the outlet?

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

If the tech fixes the outlet without breaking anything else, call it a good day.   Before you schedule the tech visit, get signed up for Cox Complete Care.  When you schedule the tech visit, tell that person you're aware of the updated CCC policy that allows the pro-install fee to be waived and you'd like for them to do that.  Don't forget you have to keep CCC for at least 90 days or they'll bill you for the $100 pro-install fee.  Good luck.   

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    Dylanww wrote:

for a cox technician to spend ten minutes or less to come out unscrew the outlet cover and connect a wire or two. 

How do you know that is the issue? Also, if it is, why can't you do it?

Dylanww
      New Contributor II

I know because my roommate has cox cable for their room and everything works fine. Also my gateway router is working and at previous residences I have had to pay this fee to have cox come out and activate a wall outlet and it took less then 10 minutes. 

I would like to be able to do it myself but I don’t have electricians tools or experience or the wiring schematics. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

So you want Cox to work on your wiring for free? I don't agree that is reasonable. Isn't the norm in the industry either. Just my opinion though.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Another option is Cox Complete Care.  $10/month for 3-month minimum is better than $100,  

If feasible, DIY Tech is cheaper than that.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Does CCC cover failed self installs? I thought it didn't. ::edit:: Nevermind. Colleen already answered.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I knew that CCC doesn't cover a failed self-install, which would be the case if OP installed the coaxial connection/ outlet.  But do we know that?  If he needs an existing outlet activated, how would that be any kind of self-install?

Colleen said: "Wiring inside the home falls to the responsibility of the homeowner or resident."

That's not what Cox Complete Care documentation says.

Internal Wiring

• Repair and replacement of inside cable coax/telephone wire damaged by normal wear-and-tear and animal chews. Includes wiring from the internet and telephone modem into the dwelling.
        • Replacement of installed or existing fittings, splitters, amplifiers, and outlets.

Cox Complete Care

DRVEGAS
    Valued Contributor

Just do it yourself takes about 5 minutes or less.

Dylanww
      New Contributor II

I would like to be able to do it myself but I don’t have electricians tools or experience or the wiring schematics. 

• Dylanww

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your new service. I know it's frustrating when things don't work the way you expect, especially for something new.

You wouldn't be charged for the visit if the cause is Cox equipment or signal delivery on our network outside your home. We don't charge customers to maintain our infrastructure. Wiring inside the home falls to the responsibility of the homeowner or resident. Every situation is a bit different and the tech will be able to answer any questions you have. We can't tell the cause remotely, so you'd need the tech to determine the cause and make repairs. If the visit is chargeable, it's the same cost as having had a Professional installation, and includes the installation of a brand-new outlet, if that's what you happen to need. 

CurtB brings up a good point, but Cox Complete Care doesn't cover when self install is unsuccessful. You can learn more about what Cox Complete Care can do for you at https://www.cox.com/residential/completecare.html
     If you have any questions specific to your account, please email cox.help@cox.com with your full name, complete street address, a link to your forum post and the details of your concern.

Dylanww
      New Contributor II

Infrastructure includes going from outside to inside the home to your customers. No customer is going outside their home sitting on their front lawn with a router to use your service. Cox is making its customers pay for their service infrastructure period. 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

That makes no sense. from outside the home, (Demarcation point), to inside the home, is the homeowner responsibility. I would LOVE to hear you tell the power company that the outlet in your home isn't working and they need to come and make sure it's getting electricity. That's inane. There is NO voltage going through the cable, and only the center wire conducts an RF signal, (Like an antenna wire), so you could literally buy a cable wire with ends on and and pull it through the house yourself if you wanted to. Or just pull a new cable and put the ends on yourself. It takes a whopping 2 minutes to learn how to do that. Doesn't require a degree in rocket science. 

That being said, if you are unable to pull a cable and put on the ends yourself, pay the 100$ get it done right, and then add Complete Care and you are covered. OR, you can wait 31 days, add Complete Care, and they will come fix it all up, you just end up paying a month of service you couldn't use. Your choice. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III
    Darkatt wrote:

inaccurate. CCC will not cover any repairs for the first 30 days after a self install. 

I haven't found any reference to a 30-day CCC failed self-install exclusion documented anywhere except in your posts.  The only 30-day references I found were:

"If Cox does not satisfactorily resolve your claim within 30 calendar days of receiving notice of it, then you may pursue the claim in arbitration."

"You may opt out of this Arbitration Provision (except for the section entitled Jury Trial Waiver) by notifying Cox of that intent within 30 days of the date of this Agreement for current customers. For new customers activating Service after the date of this Agreement, you may opt out by notifying Cox of that intent within 30 days of the date you subscribe to the Service."

"If an award granted by the arbitrator exceeds $75,000, either party can appeal that award to a three-arbitrator panel administered by the same arbitration organization by a written notice of appeal filed within thirty (30) days from the date of entry of the written arbitration award."

I found "30" a total of 7 times in the "Complete Care Terms of Service" document and 3 of them were in the 30328 zip code.  The word "thirty" was found just once (last paragraph).

Complete Care Terms of Service | Cox Communications  Updated 01/23/2024

Where did you come up with that 30-day CCC failed self-install exclusion?

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

After30 days. (one month) it's no longer considered under self install. 

https://www.cox.com/aboutus/policies/service-protection-plan-terms-and-conditions.html

The following are EXCLUDED from coverage under the Plan:

• Fees associated with installation, removal, relocation of, or change to, Cox Services.
      • Failed Self Installation
      • Installation or relocation of jacks or outlets.
      • Wiring panels (Smart Homes) or complex wiring.
      • New wall fishing or wall hole punches.
      • Wiring that supports a competitor's service offering, or wire signal interference in internal wiring caused by competitor’s equipment.
      • Repair or replacement of Customer-owned equipment (equipment may be covered by a warranty if purchased from Cox) and wire that connects such equipment.
      • Truck roll charge for swapping or changing out Cox equipment.
      • Maintenance or repair of Category 5 cable unless installed by Cox.
      • Computer configuration assistance.
      • Wiring repair or replacement due to remodeling of the premises.
      • Repair or replacement of remote control or batteries.
      • Installation of home entertainment systems & related equipment.
      • Wiring damage caused by vandalism, fire, flood, earthquake, Acts of God, gross negligence or willful damage.

Does that help?

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Darkatt wrote:

After30 days. (one month) it's no longer considered under self install.

Where was that documented? Not that it matters.  Failed Self Installation isn't listed among the items EXCLUDED by Cox Complete Care.  It's not included anywhere in the document.  The word "Self" is found once. "...necessary authority to legally bind yourself to this Agreement...  Failed Self Installation is not found.

The website you referenced was "Cox Service Protection Plan Terms and Conditions", last updated over 9 years ago (9/17/2014).  That was superseded by "Cox Complete Care".  It wouldn't have answered my question anyway.  The only 30 days reference was to prior written notice provided before material changes in Terms and Conditions of the plan.  It made no mention of repairs for the first 30 days after any install.  Current documentation for Complete Care Terms of Service | Cox Communications was last updated (1/23/2024).

Cox should fix the faulty outlet now if OP subscribes to CCC,

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

TiffanyR   

I received a reply notification, but I can't find the reply.  I think we broke this discussion.  Please repeat your last reply.

You: "Anytime a technician is sent out within the first 30 days of a self-installation, then it is scheduled as a failed self-installation. CCC would not apply to anything other than a service call (which is not scheduled within the first 30 days of installation). I hope that helps."

Me:  "I understand that.  But you didn't answer my question about why an existing outlet that doesn't work is assumed to be a self-install and not a repair that would be covered by CCC.  OP has other outlets for Cox services." 

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

TiffanyR   I received another notification of a reply 36 minutes ago, but it's not displayed.  Why are my replies being displayed, but yours aren't?  Whatever you're doing, it's causing your replies not to display in the forum.  If you're attempting a DM, it's not working. 

Edit: The last reply notification disappeared.  You must have deleted the failed DM.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

TiffanyR I never did get an answer to my question,

If I wanted Cox to fix an existing outlet that doesn't work, would I have to pay a $100 installation fee even if I have Cox Complete Care that covers internal wiring repair? 

Or does it only apply to new customers?  Before a new customer can pay Cox a monthly fee for services, do they have to pay Cox an installation fee to turn those services on?  Why would a self-installation be considered a failed self-installation if the reason it failed is because of a faulty outlet that would have been covered by CCC if they had already been a customer that subscribes to CCC?  It sounds like a Catch-22.